Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

6 min read

Ethylene Glycol Poisoning in Dogs

Ethylene glycol poisoning is a potentially fatal condition that results from the ingestion of substances containing ethylene glycol, an organic compound commonly seen in antifreeze. (In addition to being found in the car's engines to prevent freezing and overheating, it is used in hydraulic brake fluids.) Dogs usually come into contact with antifreeze when it leaks from a car's engine onto the ground, when it is spilled onto the ground while being added to a car's engine, or when the container is left uncapped.

Antifreeze is recognizable by its bright green coloring and "sweet" taste. Although it leaves a repulsive aftertaste, by then it may be too late. Even small amounts can be fatally toxic to the body's organs, including the brain, kidneys and liver.

This is one of the most common forms of poisoning; any breed or age is susceptible. Etylene glycol poisoning is also covered in our emergency section, which includes immediate care that you can give to your dog and tips on prevention. This does not take the place of veterinary care, but will assist you in treating your dog in a timely manner.

Symptoms and Types

Early signs are seen from 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Mild to severe depression
  • Wobbly, uncoordinated or drunken-appearing gait (ataxia) or movement and knuckling
  • Twitching muscles
  • Short, rapid movements of the eyeball
  • Head tremors
  • Decreased withdrawal reflexes and righting ability
  • Increased urination and increased thirst (polyuria and polydipsia)

Other symptoms often develop 36 to 72 hours after ingestion of ethylene glycol (antifreeze):

  • Symptoms are dependent on the amount of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) ingested
  • Symptoms are almost always sudden (acute)
  • Signs caused by ethylene glycol itself and its toxic metabolites are frequently fatal (metabolites - substances produced by the body's chemical processes as it breaks down the ethylene glycol)
  • Dogs will exhibit increasing depression, and tend to drink less but increased urination continues, which results in dehydration
  • Central nervous system signs lessen after approximately 12 hours but return later
  • May note severely low body temperature
  • Severe sluggishness (lethargy) or coma
  • Seizures
  • Lack of appetite (anorexia)
  • Vomiting
  • Oral ulcers/sores on mouth
  • Salivation or drooling
  • Kidneys are often swollen and painful


Toxicity is directly related to ingestion of ethylene glycol, the principal component (95 percent) of most antifreeze solutions.


It’s extremely important that you have your dog seen by a veterinarian as quickly as possible after ingestion of anything that contains ethylene glycol. Even if you only suspect that your dog has ingested ethylene glycol, if the dog is showing all of the effects of ethylene glycol toxicity, and the substance is accessible in any way, you should take your dog to be checked. If your dog is vomiting or has diarrhea, you should collect a sample of the vomit or fecal contents to present to your veterinarian. Diagnosis may be that much faster, saving valuable time and possibly preventing full organ shutdown if supportive therapy is given quickly.

You will need to provide your veterinarian with a medical background and as much detail of the onset of symptoms as possible. Standard tests include a urinalysis and complete blood test, which will be sent for laboratory analysis immediately. Your veterinarian may also use ultrasound to look at the liver and kidneys, which are often swollen in response to ethylene glycol ingestion.

Ultrasonography can also be helpful. Possible findings may be renal cortices (the external layers of the kidneys) that are hyperechoic as a result of crystals. That is, the external layers of the kidney respond to the sonographic sound waves with a denser echo than the surrounding areas because of the more solid nature of the crystal formation in the renal tissue.

Related Posts

Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

Cecilia de Cardenas
Mar 16, 2017

The Basics of Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

Jennifer Coates, DVM
Mar 16, 2017

Treating and Preventing Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

Jennifer Coates, DVM
Mar 16, 2017