Can Dogs Eat Cauliflower?

Victoria Lynn Arnold

Victoria Lynn Arnold

. Reviewed by Sandra C. Mitchell, DVM, DABVP
Updated Jan. 31, 2023
cocker spaniel dog eating from a dog bowl

NOTE: Always check with your veterinarian first before giving your dog any new foods, especially “people foods.” What might be okay for one dog might not be good for your dog, depending on multiple factors, such as their age, health history, health conditions, and diet. Dogs on prescription diets should not be fed any food or treats outside the diet.

Cauliflower isn’t just a yummy side or meat substitute—it’s a nutrient-rich superfood containing many vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds that may reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and other diseases in humans. But what about our pups? Can dogs eat cauliflower and get the same benefits we do?

Is Cauliflower Good for Dogs? 

Cauliflower is completely safe and nontoxic to dogs. In fact, your dog’s health will be rewarded by the very same nutrients we humans enjoy, including:

  • Fiber

  • Antioxidants 

  • Vitamin C

  • Vitamin K

  • Vitamin B6

  • Folate

  • Pantothenic acid

  • Potassium

  • Manganese

  • Magnesium

  • Phosphorus

  • Choline

  • Sulforaphane

Cauliflower is also low in calories, so it makes a great snack for pups that need to lose some weight (with your veterinarian’s oversight, of course).

Despite all these health benefits, it’s important to be mindful of how often you’re feeding your dog cauliflower snacks. Like other dog-safe vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage, eating large amounts of cauliflower can give dogs some extra flatulence and stomach discomfort because it’s high in fiber. 

How Much Cauliflower Can Dogs Eat? 

It’s important to only let 10% of your dog’s diet come from treats—even healthy goodies like cauliflower. The other 90% should come from a well-balanced dog food diet. Although cauliflower provides all sorts of healthy nutrients, your dog should already be receiving all the nutrition they need from their dog food. Think of any cauliflower treats as a bonus. 

Though your veterinarian will give you guidance on how much cauliflower to give your pup, general portion guidelines are:

To avoid any potential choking hazards or intestinal blockages, it’s best to chop the cauliflower into small, bite-sized pieces.

How to Safely Feed Cauliflower to Your Dog 

Dogs can eat raw cauliflower or cauliflower that’s been cooked completely plain, without salt or butter. These ingredients aren’t toxic to your dog, but they aren’t healthy for them to eat, either.

However, some ingredients commonly added to cooked cauliflower—like garlic and onion—are toxic and should never be fed to dogs. If you’re planning on cooking cauliflower for you and your pup, steaming it is the simplest way to cook it plainly. And remember to let it cool before feeding it to your dog (you don’t want Fido to burn his mouth!).

Whether you cook it or feed your dog cauliflower raw, there are a few different ways a pup can enjoy this veggie:

  • Sprinkle a few pieces on their regular dog food for a crunchy topper.

  • Give your pup a ½-inch piece on its own as a treat.

  • Blend it up with other dog-safe veggies, fruits, and plain Greek yogurt to make a doggy smoothie. 

Other Vegetables Dogs Can Eat

Cauliflower isn’t the only veggie your dog can safely snack on. There are a ton you can share with your four-legged BFF. Just remember to only feed them to your pup in moderation, and always contact your veterinarian with any questions or concerns you have about your dog’s specific diet. 

Featured Image: iStock/SolStock

Victoria Lynn Arnold


Victoria Lynn Arnold

Freelance Writer

Help us make PetMD better

Was this article helpful?

Get Instant Vet Help Via Chat or Video. Connect with a Vet. Chewy Health