Vitamin D Poisoning in Dogs

3 min read

Treatment

Vitamin D toxicity is an emergency that requires immediate treatment and hospitalization. In fact, the initial 72 hours are crucial in saving the life of your dog. If the compound containing toxic amounts of vitamin D was ingested recently, your veterinarian will induce vomiting. There are also various drugs which bind the toxic compounds and prevent further vitamin D absorption.

To maintain proper hydration and correct electrolyte imbalance, intravenous fluid therapy may be utilized. Additionally, intravenous fluids are important in promoting the excretion of calcium through urine.

In case of severe anemia, blood transfusion may be required. Secondary bacterial infections are also commonly associated with vitamin D toxicity. In these cases, antibiotics are prescribed. If seizures become a problem, your veterinarian will prescribe anti-seizure medication.

Living and Management

Due to the prolonged hospitalization required, treating dogs with vitamin D toxicity is very expensive and laborious process. To monitor the progress of therapy, periodic laboratory testing is required, including determining the dog's calcium and phosphorous levels.

Prevention

The best way to prevent vitamin D toxicity in dogs is to keep rodent-killing agents out of your pet's reach and consult your veterinarian before changing your pet's diet and/or starting it on a vitamin D supplement regimen. 

Related Posts

Anticoagulant Poisoning in Dogs

Cecilia de Cardenas
Mar 21, 2016

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) Poisoning in Dogs

PetMD Editorial
Jun 13, 2018

Pennyroyal Oil Poisoning in Dogs

PetMD Editorial
Nov 19, 2012

Sago Palm Poisoning in Dogs

PetMD Editorial
Mar 30, 2017