Can Dogs Eat Pears?

Victoria Lynn Arnold
By Victoria Lynn Arnold. Reviewed by Sandra C. Mitchell, DVM, DABVP on Dec. 9, 2022
woman feeding a poodle a pear slice

NOTE: Always check with your veterinarian first before giving your dog any new foods, especially “people foods.” What might be okay for one dog might not be good for your dog, depending on multiple factors, such as their age, health history, health conditions, and diet. Dogs on prescription diets should not be fed any food or treats outside the diet.

Pears aren’t just for people—they’re one of many fruits your dog can safely eat. They’re juicy and sweet, too, so your dog will love them. But that doesn’t mean you can just toss your pup a pear like it’s a tennis ball—there are safety tips pet parents should know about feeding dogs pears.

Are Pears Good for Dogs?

Pears are low in calories and carbohydrates, and they contain many nutritional benefits for your pup, including:

  • Fiber

  • Antioxidants

  • Copper

  • Vitamin C

  • Vitamin A

  • Vitamin K

  • Folate

  • Potassium

  • Anthocyanins

  • Lutein

  • Zeaxanthin

However, overindulging in pears can cause GI upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, in dogs—especially in pups that aren’t used to pears as part of their diet.

Can Dogs Eat Canned Pears?

Although fresh pears contain a lot of sugar (as do most other fruits), they are healthier than canned pears. Canned pears are preserved in heavy syrup, meaning they have a much higher sugar content—and a higher calorie content—than fresh pears. Both of which are not good for your dog’s health. 

Steer clear of feeding your dog any canned fruit. But there’s no real need to worry if your dog accidentally eats some canned pears, though it can cause some minor stomach upset from the sugar. However, eating sugary foods repeatedly over time cause health issues, such as diabetes and obesity

How to Feed Your Dog Pears Safely

Before you feed any pears to your pup, make sure to remove the stem, leaves, core, and seeds. Any of these could become a choking hazard or cause an intestinal blockage. Plus, the seeds, stem, and leaves of a pear all contain trace amounts of cyanide and should never be eaten, just like apple seeds. Dogs are fine to eat the pear skin if thoroughly washed, and you should cut the pear into bite-sized pieces.

If you’re looking for fun ways to feed pears to your dog, here are some vet-approved methods:

1. Use pears a food topper

You can add a few pieces of chopped pears or mashed pears on top of your dog’s regular food.

2. Blend a pear fruit smoothie

Blend up some pear pieces with other dog-safe fruits like bananas, blueberries, strawberries, apples, or peaches. You can use this as a special treat in a bowl or as a food topper. Make sure to serve your dog no more than 2 tablespoons of smoothie per 10 pounds of dog.

3. Make pear yogurt or frozen yogurt

Mash up some pear pieces and mix them with plain, sugar-free, xylitol-free yogurt. You can also mix in some of the other dog-safe fruits mentioned above and feed them to your pup as a cold treat in a bowl. 

Freezing the fruit pieces the night before and blending the frozen fruit with the plain yogurt also makes a dog-friendly frozen yogurt.

4. Stuff a KONG toy

You can stuff any of the mixtures above in your dog’s KONG toy as a cold treat or freeze it for a refreshing frozen snack later. (Pro tip: Frozen treats are also helpful in keeping your pup busy and mentally stimulated!).

How Many Pears Can Dogs Eat?

Although pears are a safe and healthy snack for your dog, treats of any kind should only make up 10% of your dog’s diet. The other 90% should come from a well-balanced dog food diet

Portions should be based on your dog’s size and follow these guidelines:

If you’re ever concerned about your dog’s individual diet or have questions about treats based on their specific health needs, it’s always best to contact your veterinarian. 

Other Fruits Dogs Can Eat

There are tons of fruits that are safe and healthy for dogs to eat (and a few that aren’t). While you shouldn’t give your fur baby cherries or avocados, other dog-safe fruits include:

Featured Image: iStock/Rasulovs

Victoria Lynn Arnold


Victoria Lynn Arnold

Freelance Writer

Help us make PetMD better

Was this article helpful?

Get Instant Vet Help Via Chat or Video. Connect with a Vet. Chewy Health