Allergic Shock in Dogs

2 min read

Treatment

It is important to remove the agent causing the reaction. Sometimes a vaccine is helpful if the allergen is identified. Life support is sometimes required, as well as opening an airway so the animal can breathe properly. In addition, fluids are often administered to reduce the animal's shock levels and to hydrate. Drugs like epinephrine are often given if the shock is severe, and antihistamines can be prescribed to help with on-going control of the allergy. The dog often requires close hospital monitoring for 24 to 48 hours after the reaction.

Living and Management

If it is discovered the allergic reaction was due to food, or an otherwise common allergen, efforts must be made to control the dog’s environment. As many cases are sudden, the owner will be educated so a future emergency can be managed effectively.

Prevention

There are no known ways to prevent an initial reaction, but once the allergen is identified, it can be controlled by the dog's owner.

Related Posts

Blue Skin and Mucus Membranes in Dogs

Alex German
Apr 05, 2016

Intense Scratching in Dogs

Vladimir Negron
Oct 02, 2018

Flea and Tick Medicine Poisoning in Dogs

Cecilia de Cardenas
Apr 12, 2016