PetMD Seal

Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

2 min read



Unfortunately, ivermectin toxicity cannot be reversed. Therefore, it is best to make your pet comfortable and treat the symptoms to the best of your ability. If exposure has occurred within the past four to six hours, induce vomiting and/or administer activated charcoal for the purposes of minimizing absorption. Be on the lookout for signs of secondary complications.


Some or all of the following measures may also be recommended by your veterinarian: 


  • Intravenous fluid therapy
  • Keeping electrolytes in balance
  • Intravenous nutritional support
  • Turn the dog over frequently
  • Appropriate bedding
  • Physical therapy
  • Ocular lubricants
  • Ventilator in case of respiratory distress
  • Heat support if body temperature is low
  • Fans if body temperature is high
  • If your dog can not stand up, urinary catheters may be needed
  • Medication for seizures if appropriate


Much will depend on the severity of the dog's reaction, along with its initial overall health. It may take several weeks of dedicated care before the dog fully recovers.




There is a test available to check sensitivity to ivermectin. If your dog is one of the breeds that is prone to ivermectin toxicity, you might consider testing for it. If you decide not to have the testing done, be cautious about using ivermectin to prevent heartworm disease or for the treatment of mites. 



Related Articles

Arsenic Poisoning in Dogs

Arsenic is a heavy metal mineral that is commonly included in chemical compounds for consumer products, such as herbicides (chemicals to kill...

Rat Poisoning in Dogs

Bromethalin rodenticide toxicity, more commonly referred to as rat poisoning, occurs when a dog becomes exposed to the chemical bromethalin,...