petMD Survey Reveals Pet Owners No Longer Believe Animal Shelter Myths
Philadelphia, PA – June16, 2014 – Animal shelters are a huge asset to the communities they serve and, of course, to the animals. Unfortunately, their purpose and contribution to society has often been misunderstood in the past. According to a recent petMD survey, that may no longer be the case.
Here are some animal shelter myths that no longer ring true:
- Animal Shelters Only Have Older Pets: They survey revealed nearly 97% of people have found puppies, kittens and other young pets available for adoption at animal shelters. Of course, there are several benefits to adopting an older dog or cat, too.
- Animal Shelters Only Have Mixed Breed Pets: The lack of purebred dogs and cats has often been used as an excuse to not adopt in the past. However, nearly 90% of survey respondents say they have seen purebred animals available for adoption at animal shelters.
- Shelter Animals All Have Behavioral or Health Issues: Another excuse to not adopt has been a fear that shelter animals have behavioral or health issues. According to the survey, 84% of people no longer believe this to be the case.
- Animal Shelter Personnel Lack Familiarity and Training: The survey revealed nearly 57% of people think shelter personnel are familiar with the animals available for adoption, and are helpful during the adoption process.
- "I am so encouraged to hear 95% of survey respondents have considered or are considering adopting from an animal shelter," says Lorie Huston, Veterinary Advisor to petMD. "Caring for pets is responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly, but definitely a worthwhile one."
petMD is the world’s largest digital resource for pet health and wellness information. Founded in 2008 to provide pet owners support beyond the vet office, petMD has quickly become the go-to resource for millions of pet parents across the globe. The website maintains a comprehensive library of more than 10,000 pet health articles, all written and approved by petMD’s network of trusted veterinarians. Popular features include the Symptom Checker, Chocolate Toxicity Meter, Healthy Weight Calculator and petMD University. petMD is a part of Pet360 Inc., an integrated media and ecommerce company devoted to everything pets, providing pet parents the trusted information, products and advice they need to raise happy, healthy pets. Follow petMD on Twitter @petMD.
Help us make PetMD better
Was this article helpful?