Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy


or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

PetMD Seal

Lily Plant Poisoning in Cats

Toxic Reaction to Lily House Plants

 

One of the most toxic household plants for cats is the common lily. In fact, eating as little as two or three leaves from the flowers can result in liver failure and, if left untreated, can have a fatal outcome for cats. Lilies are a widely used houseplant, with 10 to 11 million plants produced annually within the United States. Some of the most common lilies are Easter lilies, Tiger lilies, Japanese show lilies, Rubrum lilies, and Day lilies.

 

Symptoms and Types

 

One of the most immediate symptoms of lily poisoning is the sudden onset of vomiting. In addition, cats that are experiencing lily poisoning will often exhibit signs of depression, diarrhea, dehydration, and lack of appetite (anorexia). If the condition is left untreated, death can occur within four to seven days of ingestion (sooner if the cat consumes a larger amount of the plant).

 

Causes

 

Ingesting any plant in the lily family can result in poisoning. However, the Lilium and Hemerocallis genera lilies are the most dangerous for cats. Eating even a small amount of the plant will have a severe impact on a cat's system.

 

Diagnosis

 

If possible, you will need to take a sample of the plant that was ingested along to the veterinarian when you take your cat for treatment. If you suspect anything else in your home of being the cause for the toxic reaction you should take that as well. This will make your veterinarian's ability to diagnose the reaction that much easier, and treatment can be prescribed swiftly, minimizing the probability of long-term organ damage. Some common issues that may be discovered during your cat's physical examination include swollen kidneys, fluid buildup (edema), and possibly an empty gut (gastrointestinal tract).

 

 

Treatment

 

One treatment option is to flush the stomach. This will remove any remaining portions of the toxic agent – in this case, the plant material. In some cases, activated charcoal for neutralizing the toxin can be used to assist in this process.

 

Intravenous (IV) fluid therapy will be given to help prevent kidney failure. This is often continued for a period of 24 hours following ingestion of the plant. If your cat's kidney has already failed to operate normally, dialysis will be the only treatment option.

 

Living and Management

 

One of the most pressing medical issues that can affect your cat is dehydration. Lack of body fluids can quickly become a life-threatening condition, so an important part of the healing process is close observation of fluid intake.

 

Prevention

 

To prevent ingestion of this toxic plant, keep all lily plants out of reach of your cat. Also, if your cat(s) are kept indoors, it might be best to keep your lily plants outside.

 

 

Related Articles

Intestinal Tumors (Apudomas) in Cats
Adenoma is a gastrointestinal tumor which secretes peptide hormones -- hormones that...
READ MORE
Chocolate Poisoning in Cats
Cats, especially kittens, are known for eating things they are not supposed to. This...
READ MORE
Intestinal Viral Infection (Rotavirus) in ...
The rotavirus is a double-stranded, wheel-shaped RNA virus which causes inflammation...
READ MORE
  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»
Search cat Articles

 

 

PETMD POLL

What do you use to prevent ticks from feeding on your pet?

Around the Web
MORE FROM PETMD.COM