One treatment option is to flush the stomach. This will remove any remaining portions of the toxic agent – in this case, the plant material. In some cases, activated charcoal for neutralizing the toxin can be used to assist in this process.
Intravenous (IV) fluid therapy will be given to help prevent kidney failure. This is often continued for a period of 24 hours following ingestion of the plant. If your cat's kidney has already failed to operate normally, dialysis will be the only treatment option.
Living and Management
One of the most pressing medical issues that can affect your cat is dehydration. Lack of body fluids can quickly become a life-threatening condition, so an important part of the healing process is close observation of fluid intake.
To prevent ingestion of this toxic plant, keep all lily plants out of reach of your cat. Also, if your cat(s) are kept indoors, it might be best to keep your lily plants outside.
The plural form of the word ‘genus.’
The digestive tract containing the stomach and intestine
A procedure used to get waste out of the blood when the kidneys are unable to function
A medical condition in which the body has lost fluid or water in excessive amounts
The collection of fluid in the tissue