Anticoagulant Poisoning in Cats

5 min read



If your cat is suffering from spontaneous bleeding caused by anticoagulants, the treatment will involve administering fresh whole blood, or frozen plasma, in an amount determined by the rate and volume of your cat's blood loss. Vitamin K, necessary for normal blood clotting, will be used specifically as an antidote, and will be given by subcutaneous (under the skin) injections, with repeated doses as necessary – by injection or even orally - until the blood clotting time returns to normal.


Do not induce vomiting unless you have been advised to do so by your veterinarian. Some poisons can cause more harm coming back through the esophagus than they did going down.


Living and Management


If it is the mild, cumulative form anticoagulant that has been consumed, your cat may recover in a week, but if it was the lethal, single dose anticoagulant, it may take a month for a recovery. Recovery depends upon the time that has elapsed from when the poison was ingested and when treatment for it began.




Anticoagulant poisoning can be prevented by keeping all poisons out of the reach of your cat. An important precaution to keep in mind as well: if you, or anyone in your family are taking prescribed blood thinning drug(s), it is highly recommended that the drigs be kept up and out of your pet's reach – ideally inside of a cabinet. This precaution holds true for all medications, drugs, and chemicals.