Q. I found my dog standing stiffly with an engorged penis which does not retract. He stands still & I see some clear liquid coming out, what should I do?

Answered By

A. This is a painful condition and it would be best to have a vet assist him in getting his penis to retract. Sometimes you can use sterile lube like KY jelly to help lubricate it enough to get it back inside but if it has been stuck for a while it is painful and may not go back on its own, and he may not let you try either.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.