Q. My little dog ate 1 grape. It has been 3 hours now and he hasn't thrown up or anything. Will he be fine?

Answered By

A. Grape toxicity is focused on the kidneys, resulting in potential acute kidney failure.

Unfortunately the toxic effect is not directly related to the dosage, so even one single grape might lead to toxic effects.

Monitor for signs such as vomiting and diarrhea, inappetence, lethargy, and oliguria or anuria (production of small volume or complete cessation of urine).

I would recommend to take him to your veterinarian to discuss what can be done. Your veterinarian may suggest to make him sick or give activated charcoal that may be useful for preventing absorption of toxin as a first treatment. Further test as blood test and fluid therapy may be needed.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.