Q. My dog is 17lbs and ate a possiable 6oz of milk chocolate. I have her 3000 + grams of activated charcoal. Will she be okay. She's only vomited 3 times

Answered By

A. The toxicity can be moderate to severe. Signs to monitor in the next hours are diarrhoea, restleness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension and incoordination. Activated charcoal will help to absorb the toxins. It is hard to tell if she will be ok because that would depend on how much she vomited and when she ate the chocolate. Generally speaking I would recommend to take her to your veterinarian for a check up. I am happy anyway to discuss the problem further if you require in a consultation.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.