Q. "I dropped one adult gummy multi-vitamin for women and am worried my pom-chi may find it. Can it hurt them?

Answered By

A. If it is a ''gummy'' tablet it may cause gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting or diarrhea.

The toxicity from the single components (Vitamins, mineral etc etc) depends on their concentration. Generally speaking it should be a major concern as the concentration is quite low.

If there is xylitol inside the tablet that may be dangerous, and in case of ingestion, your dog needs to be seen by a veterinarian. The ingestion of xylitol or xylitol-containing products causes a rapid release of the hormone insulin, causing a sudden decrease in the dog's blood glucose.

Signs to look for are: lethargy, vomiting, loss of coordination, collapse, and eventually seizures.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.