Q. Can you advise me on how to treat my dog for Mange

Answered By

A. Mange needs to be diagnosed b y the vet prior to treatment, if your dogs wasn't diagnose for mange he might suffer from a completely different condition (allergy, fleas or hormonal disorder). All medications to treat mange needs prescription anyway so your dog will need to see the vet either way in order to receive the medicine. These include either spot ons (advocate or revolution), injections (ivermectin) or deeps (amitraz). The vet will perform a skin scraping in order to diagnose the type of mange as treatment can be different for fidderent type of mange.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.