Q. my dog is 13yrs old.ive given her chocalate all her life but in a very small dose about the size if a 5 cent piece or smaller.am u actualy doing harm.

Answered By

A. Over time small amounts of chocolate could potentially cause organ malfunction. Chocolate is still considered a toxin to pets so it can be seen as a low dose toxin slowly given over an extended period of time. Try other safe treats like peanut butter, milk bones or even small amounts of yogurt. All healthy options for your pet and not known toxins.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.