Q. My dog hurt her back leg. I'm on a fixed income and the vet wants to do 3-400 worth of tests. I can't pay for that. What can I do for my baby ?

Answered By

A. You can try to get care credit, Also give the local shelters, humane society and animal control a call and ask them if there is a low cost veterinary clinic in your area. There are also welfare organisations which help with veterinary costs (put in your computer search engine : financial help with veterinary bills). You do not say what kind of injury your dog has , so I am afraid I cannot give you any specific advice on that. Realise, that a vet is obligated to offer the best of care for your animal, however sometimes not all the diagnostics are needed. You are not obligated to agree with all of them So discuss this with your vet, be open about your finances and ask him what the minimum diagnostics are and why.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.