Q. What could happen if my dog ate leftover grilled chicken cutlets that were in my garbage?

Answered By

A. If they were spoiled, he could certainly be susceptible to food poisoning. If they were just discarded, the rich meal could cause some intestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea. By cutlets, I take you to mean they were boneless, that's good. Even if he ate some bones, the best thing to do is wait it out, feed him some extra dry food to help pad them as they pass through and watch his bowel movements for signs of blood or diarrhea. If he does start vomiting, gets diarrhea, loses his appetite, becomes lethargic, get him in to the vet as soon as possible.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.