Q. My eight pound dog ate a little less than an ounce of chocolate what do I do

Answered By

A. If it was milk chocolate, monitor for GI upset or shaking. Seek veterinary attention if you see tremors, seizures, hyperactivity or increased heart rate. If it was dark chocolate, seek veterinary attention immediately from your vet or a local veterinary ER. Your dog will be made to vomit then likely given activated charcoal and possibly placed on IV fluids and monitored for 24 hours.

Use the link below for future reference.


DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.