Q. My dog ate half of a 9.5 oz bag of milk chocolate covered almonds. She weighs 60 lbs. Is she in danger?

Answered By

A. You may see vomiting, diarrhea. If you see tremors/seizures, hyperactivity or increased heart rate then seek veterinary attention. A visit to your vet is recommended so that your dog can be made to vomit. The almonds may compound the GI upset so getting it all out is recommended.

In the future, you can use the chart at the following link to determine risk of toxicity after chocolate ingestion.


DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.