Q. My dog ate about 8 grapes (he is a 47 pound shetland sheepdog) is that ok?

Answered By

A. The amount of grapes that can hurt a dog can vary by the dog’s weight. Toxic doses begin at about 0.18 ounces of grapes per pound of dog weight however, they can affect dogs differently. Any amount of grapes should be considered toxic. Seek veterinary attention immediately. If the ingestion was within two hours, vomiting is usually induced and activated charcoal administered. Intravenous fluids may be given for 48 hours. Blood chemistry panels are checked for 72 hours. Monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, difficulty breathing, tremors or hyperactivity.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.