Q. My dog is having an allergic reaction to milk. Can I give him anything at home? I can't really afford to go to a vet right now.

Answered By

A. If he has severe symptoms like panting, general rash, head and neck oedema or weakness You should see a vet as an emergency. You can give antihistamine drugs ( clemastine, diphenhydramine) in dose 1-2 mg/kg when he has redness and itching. These drugs can have poor effect in animals so see a vet if they will not help

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.