Q. My dog has a severe flea allergy. I need to know what medicine I can get him to ease him. Hes losing a lot of hair.

Answered By

A. First of all you should get a good quality flea product which will provide your dog with protection against flea infestation. You can use, for example Frontline, Stronghold, Advocate or many other products. If your dog is scratching excessively you should take him to your vets to get treatment. Most often used medications to ease itchiness are steroids and/or anti-histamine medications.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.