Q. What are the signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs?

Answered By

A. Early symptoms are similar to alcohol intoxication: staggering drunken appearance, excessive drinking and urinating, panting, vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures or tremors, etc. Ethylene glycol is accumulating as crystals in dogs' kidneys and the damage cannot be repaired.

Symptoms of kidney damage usually show up 36 to 72 hours after ingestion of the antifreeze. These include: lethargy, inability to urinate, mouth ulcers, lack of appetite, excessive salivation, dehydration, painful swollen kidneys.

If you suspect your dog has ingested antifreeze you should take your dog to your vets as soon as possible. The sooner you get your dog to the vet the better are it's chances of survival.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.