Q. My 42 pound Beagle ate about an ounce or 2 of chocolate about 8 hours ago. She vomited, and most came up. My husband is still very concerned.

Answered By

A. If it was milk or white chocolate then your dog will be fine. If it was dark chocolate or chocolate with a lot of cocoa powder then there is small risk that she may still show symptoms like restlessness, agitation, racing heart. However, if it happened 8 hrs ago and she is fine at the moment then it is unlikely that she will show any more symptoms than vomiting and diarrhea.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.