Q. My hamster has a growth on the side of her face and has grown to cover her right eye. What can I do?

Answered By

A. If your hamster is experiencing a growth that is continually or suddenly growing larger in size it is best to bring her to your local vet. Your vet can take a look at the growth to determine if it may be an abscess (an infection under the skin that causes swelling) which can be treated with antibiotics, or a more serious tumor. Growths on the face can be problematic as they can cut off the ability to eat and breathe, so bringing her in for care as soon as possible is best.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.