Q. My Lab has a torn cruciate. He is around 10 years old, he seems to become tired because of the pain. He is stilling eating and drinking.

Answered By

A. If you haven't seen your vet then you need an appointment to get appropriate pain relief. If you have been to the vet and the pain meds you have already been given aren't working you need to go back for something stronger. Your vet will be able to advise if surgery or strict rest is the best option for your dog. Usually larger breed dogs require surgery.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.