Q. Our 13 yr old dog will be with a sitter for 3 wks. We need to formulate our choice for medical care. Is there a "formula" or correct terminology?

Answered By

A. The best thing is to let the sitter have all your vet details and advice them what your insurance policy covers in case of treatment being required. Ideally a contact number for you on vacation in case they need to discuss a difficult decision with you. Your vet will really be the one that decides on the best care for your dog if it is injured. Make sure your sitter has enough of the food and medications that your dog normally has.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.