Q. My dog ate quite a few raisins a few hours ago, he hasn't thrown up or snowman any signs of sickness but, will he be okay?

Answered By

A. Raisins can be toxic to dogs. We always recommend making them vomit as soon as possible with a couple of hours of ingestion. Most dogs are absolutely fine after consuming raisins but some can go into renal failure which can be fatal. I have seen a westie die from ingesting 2 rasins. In our emergency clinic we would have your dog in on intravenous fluids for at least 24 hours or more.

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.


Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.