- Drug Name: Metronidazole
- Common Name: Flagyl®, Metizol®, Protostat®, Metrogel®
- Drug Type: Antibiotic, antiprotozoal
- Used For: Prevention and treatment of bacterial and parasitic infections
- Species: Dogs, Cats
- Administered: Tablet, Oral liquid, Injectable
- How Dispensed: Prescription only
- FDA Approved: No
- Recommended Online Pharmacy: Get Metronidazole at Pet360.com
Metronidazole is commonly used as an anti-diarrheal medication that treat inflammation of the large intestine. It is also effective against certain protozoal and bacterial infections such as Giardia, Trichomonas and Balantidium coli. It is effective against only anaerobic pathogens, but is safe to use in conjunction with many other antibiotics for mixed infections.
Metronidazole is able to treat central nervous system infections that most other drugs cannot treat by penetrating the blood-brain barrier. It is also particularly effective against infections of the bone and teeth.
Give this medication with food, as this will increase absorption.
How It Works
Most healthy parts of your pet’s body requires good circulation and oxygen to thrive. Abscesses and damages tissue, however, typically has poor oxygen circulation. Only certain pathogens that can survive without oxygen can thrive in these areas. Metronidazole inhibits certain repair enzymes in cells that exist in these unoxygenated (or anaerobic) environments.
Keep liquid form of medication refrigerated and shake well before use. All other forms are to be kept in a tightly sealed container at room temperature and protected from heat or light.
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give your pet two doses at once.
Side Effects and Drug Reactions
Metronidazole may result in these side effects:
- Allergic reaction (labored breathing, hives, etc)
- Loss of appetite
- Blood in the urine, or dark urine
Metronidazole may react with these drugs:
- Phenobarbital (reduces the effect of Metronidazole)
DO NOT GIVE METRONIDAZOLE TO PREGNANT OR LACTATING PETS
DO NOT GIVE TO YOUNG PUPPIES OR KITTENS
USE CAUTION WHEN ADMINISTERING THIS DRUG TO PETS WITH KIDNEY OR LIVER DISEASE