- Drug Name: Sulfasalazine
- Common Name: Azulfidine®
- Drug Type: Anti-inflammatory/Anti-microbial
- Used For: Colitis, Inflammatory bowel disease, Chrons disease
- Species: Dogs, Cats
- Administered: Tablets, Oral liquid
- How Dispensed: Prescription only
- Available Forms: Azulfidine® 500mg tablets, Azulfidine EN-Tabs® 500mg coated tablets , Azulfidine® 50mg/ml oral suspension
- FDA Approved: No
- Recommended Online Pharmacy: Get Sulfasalazine at Pet360.com
Sulfasalazine is used in pets to treat disorders of the digestive tract and intestines. It may also be used to treat Crohn’s disease and rheumatoid arthritis (pain and inflammation targeting the joints). It should be taken with food unless otherwise directed by your veterinarian.
How It Works
Sulfasalazine works by reducing the production of chemicals that mediate inflammation such as inflammatory cytokines and eicosanoids. It works mainly in the intestines. It also inhibits a hormone-like compound called prostaglandin, which causes a decrease in secretion of inflammatory chemicals.
Store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
If you miss a dose, give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give your pet two doses at once.
Side Effects and Drug Reactions
Sulfasalazine may result in these side effects:
- Loss of appetite
- Facial swelling
- Dry eye and other eye problems with long term use
Sulfasalazine may react with these drugs:
- Iron supplements
- Protein bound drugs
- Other Sulfa drugs
- Folic acid
USE CAUTION WHEN ADMINISTERING THIS DRUG TO PREGNANT OR LACTATING PETS - use in pregnant pets has not been extensively researched.
USE CAUTION WHEN ADMINISTERING THIS DRUG TO PETS WITH KIDNEY, LIVER, OR BLOOD DISEASE
DO NOT USE IN PETS WITH URINARY OR INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTIONS