Several lots of bird food for parrots were recalled this week by bird feed manufacturer, Lafeber Co. While no injuries or illnesses have been reported in relation to the recalled products, Lafeber has issued the recall as a preemptive precaution.
The potential contamination is due to improper storage of one of the grains used in the affected bird feeds. The concern arose because moisture pockets formed in the grain as a result of the improper storage. Moisture is a source for the proliferation of fungus and bacteria, both of which could lead to illness and death in birds if ingested.
The products are as follows:
- Parrot Nutri-Berries — 12 oz. tubs
Best by Date: 121913B
- Parrot Nutri-Berries — 3.25 lb. tubs and 20 lb. boxes
Best by Dates: 121813A — 121813B — 121913A — 122713A — 122713B — 010514
- Parrot Popcorn Nutri-Berries — 4 oz. and 1 lb. bags
Best by Dates: 122013 — 122613
- Cockatiel Sunny Orchard Nutri-Berries — 10 oz. bags
Best by Dates: 122113 — 010214
- Parrot Sunny Orchard Nutri-Berries — 10 oz. and 3 lb. bags
Best by Dates: 122513 — 122813
Lafeber is advising those who have bought these products to either safely discard them or return them to the point of purchase. For more information, visit the company website at Lafeber Cares.
Source: Lafeber Cares