Savannah Cat Roaming the Streets of Detroit Killed and Thrown in the Garbage

By Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell    August 30, 2013 at 10:23AM / (69) comments

A 25-pound Savannah cat named Chum that escaped from his family’s open window on the east side of Detroit was found killed and thrown in a trash can.

A Savannah is a cross between an African serval and a domestic cat. Chum was 3-years-old and had lived with his family since he was 4-months-old. He was about 2 feet tall from floor to head when sitting.

Chum made headlines last week when alarmed residents began spotting him walking through the neighborhood.

"It wasn't normal," Paul Hatley told USA Today. "It didn't run away like a normal cat. It just stared at you ... it was scary."

Detroit Animal Control and the Detroit Humane Society were called, but neighbors said they couldn’t get them to respond.

Reports that the cat was as large as 4 feet tall and sensational headlines might have sealed Chum’s fate. Acting on a tip, a rescue group looking for the large feline found his body in a garbage can after he was shot to death by a resident of the neighborhood.

"I think people can't just go around shooting things they don't understand," Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek of Paws for the Cause, the feral cat rescue group that found Chum, told USA Today in a follow up story this week. "I think we need to be a little bit more respectful of the animals and human beings around us. I'd love to see someone look into it and investigate it. But I'm not holding out a lot of hope. This whole thing from the beginning has just been a mess."

Chum, like many Savannah cats, was spotted like a leopard. "I don't think it was the size as much as the coloration that scared people," Wilhelm-Bruzek said.

Savannah cats were introduced in the U.S. in 1997. They are considered an exotic breed and are sold for thousands of dollars.

Chum’s family is devastated by his death.

This did not happen in the area of Detroit where as many as 50,000 abandoned dogs are said to roam the streets.

It is, however, a good reminder that no pets should be allowed to roam, and that great care should be taken to ensure they do not escape their homes or houses, especially if they are from a rare, exotic breed that people may not understand.

All pets should also be microchipped.

Editor’s Note: Savannah Cat via Shutterstock

Savannah Cat Roaming the Streets of Detroit Killed and Thrown in the Garbage originally appeared on Pet360.com.

• 09/01/2013 09:21pm

When I here of thing like this ,my blood boils if it were not for the incompetence of the owners and the way that this cat was kept it would be alive today, by this happening only tells me that there has got to be I don't know what, I could say laws changed yeigh wright, in Detriot,jessuuss the animals just don't stand a chance,man will destroy everything and eventually him self.

• 09/04/2013 10:08am

Detroit is a disaster and truly savages live there.... Friends of our moved out of there LONG ago because of the savage culture there. This would NEVER happen in our town. We are not savages here. We not only respect human life but we also respect animal life. You could not pay me to live in Detroit.

• 09/11/2013 09:31am

You are an a**! This kind of thing happens everywhere. Just last night on the news here in Panama City Beach, mutilated cats found in gated community. Detroit has its problems, but the people are not savages. To generalize a cities population only shows your ignorance. We were up there in July for a Tigers game and couldn't have had a better time Downtown or felt any safer. People like you are the problem, you form an opinion on a few headlines or a few comments from a friend. Parts of Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans and especially Miami are as bad if not worse than some of the neighborhoods in Detroit.

• 09/15/2013 11:09pm

I notice you are babbling from the other side of the country. You must be one of those that moved away a log time ago.

• 10/20/2013 08:45pm

Yes I moved away from Michigan 20 years ago to try and make it as a golf pro and ended up getting married to a Southern girl. However, I still love Detroit and we are looking to move to the Ann Arbor area within the year.

• 09/16/2013 03:12am

While what you said is true, there is a reason Detriot was called 'murder capital of the world' ....

• 09/16/2013 08:34pm

So sorry,I know Detroit well it is a dump full of savages and animals. Take a nice eve walk in Detroit and you will end up DEAD THAT'S THE FACTS DEAL WITH IT.

• 10/07/2013 09:33am

Yeas, those cities and others have areas as bad or worse than Detroit. And they all have something in common demographically, don't they?

• 10/20/2013 07:28am

You really can't use Florida as the yard stick by which you measure "everywhere".

• 10/20/2013 08:48pm

I didn't use Florida as a yardstick. Here's a geography lesson for you. Atlanta is in Georgia and New Orleans is in Louisiana.

• 10/20/2013 07:06pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 10/20/2013 08:50pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 10/20/2013 08:52pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 10/29/2013 10:40am

YOU are the ass! Detroit has the HIGHEST murder rate in the US, for a couple of years now.....makes them pretty savage in my book. Not everyone is but enough of them are. This was a senseless killing of a beautiful animal and I would love to see the person that killed him prosecuted; but sadly the courts there are too busy prosecuting those who murder humans

• 09/20/2013 11:47pm

A couple questions for you:
    Have you ever been to Detroit?
    You do realize there is more to Detroit then what you see on your CSI shows you watch from your "ADVANCED" community.
    Are you an idiot?
    Do you realize this happens EVERYWHERE. Not just in Detroit but ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
    Do you have little kid syndrome?
    Did you type that out of ignorance or just because you wanted attention from someone about your negativity?
    You Ma'am/Sir are a complete and utter uneducated schmuck because that is quite possibly the MOST ignorant comment I've ever read on any forum.

• 09/21/2013 03:10pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 09/30/2013 09:19am

"Perhaps Christianity may open your blind eyes." oh, yeah, I want to be a good Christian just like you!!! LoL People like you give Christians a bad name!!!!!!

• 09/06/2013 09:05am

I am truly impressed by your ignorance of who is responsible for the death of this animal. You have chosen to blame the victims of the crime rather than the perpetrator of the crime. It should be noted that a person of reason would expect no less from the city of Detroit, which has become a city of despair. That leads us to the question of, “Why has the city of Detroit become a city of despair?”.
    The answer to that question is lack of proper education! You appear to be a prime example of the lack of proper education in America today. We will begin an examination of your comments and the problems with those comments. Your comments follow as you typed them.

I must admit that I was duly impressed by your proper spelling of the word “incompetence”. Unfortunately , the rest of the paragraph was a disaster. Shall we start with “here”, this should have been “hear”. “Here” often refers to a place or location, while “hear” refers to using the ears to receive information. Next we go to “thing”, this should have been “things”. The proper sentence and paragraph construction should have been as follows:

“When I hear of things like this, my blood boils.” An exclamation point would have been a better choice to end this sentence. Unfortunately you chose not to end the sentence, but to create a “run on” sentence.
    “The incompetence of the owners and the way the cat was kept, caused the death of this animal.” Better sentence construction, but wrong on a fundamental level. Incompetence means to be “not legally qualified”. An incompetent person is an innocent person. A better choice would have been “negligent owners”. This shows a level of guilt or responsibly. Failure to exercise due caution.
    “If it were not for the negligence of the owners and the way this cat was kept, it would be alive today.” This is an improved sentence construction following the basic outline of your paragraph.
    “by this happening only tells me that there has got to be I don’t know what, I could say laws changed”. I am not sure what to say about this portion of your statement other than, “Education is the key to ending ignorance and neglect.”.
    “yeigh wright, in Detroit,jessuuss the animals don’t stand a chance,man will destroy everything and eventually him self.” Yeah right, in Detroit! Jesus, the animals don’t stand a chance. Man will destroy everything and eventually himself.

From the beginning, your statement:

My improved version:
    When I hear of things like this, my blood boils. If it were not for the negligence of the owners and the way this cat was kept, it would be alive today. Yeah right, in Detroit! Jesus, the animals don’t stand a chance. Man will destroy everything and eventually himself.

• 09/07/2013 12:15pm

Bashing someone for poor sentence structure and misspelled words may have been more effective had you used proper sentence structure and spelling.

• 09/07/2013 02:09pm

Wow! Try getting a life.. How long did that little rant take you to right.... Oh oh oops... write.

• 09/07/2013 02:12pm

Wow! Does someone need to get a life? Lol how long did it take you to right that rant...ohhhhh oops I mean write lol Or maybe you would rather me say type....

• 09/07/2013 06:20pm

Ummm....Detroit doesn't have the market cornered on "poor education" in this country. Yet you don't see all those other towns and cities with the violence Detroit does. I live in the Rust Belt and have watched our economy crumble like Detroit. Our schools are no better or worse than there. So why does my city not have the violence yours does?

• 09/16/2013 03:58pm

Yes Detroit is violent but it's also poor and on the edge of collapse due to the greed of the PTB in this country.

The same with NYC. It's interesting to me that cities that have the most anti gun rules are often the most violent.

What's needed is education and empathy for others. My parents made sure that I had both.

I found a dog on the street the other day. Others just whizzed past it. I spent 20 minutes trying to coax it into my van so I could find the owner. The dog was very old and it turned out to be owned by a neighbor of mine. Thankfully I was able to reunite it with its owner. It doesn't take a lot of time or effort to create a little kindness in the world.

• 10/20/2013 05:34pm

That was a grand thing that you did ,it makes me feel good that this pup was back were he belongs, brovo to you.....

• 09/07/2013 06:32pm

Education??

You're blaming this on poor education?

Seriously....you're telling me that people need a "good education" to know that they SHOULDN'T KILL SOMETHING???????

• 09/16/2013 03:59pm

Actually lack of education, poor home environments and poverty all contribute to people killing animals (including other humans). Our throw a way mentality doesn't help the situation.

• 09/08/2013 12:59pm

Wow, definitely a type-A personality. I doubt you have any friends and I certainly feel sorry for any family members who have the displeasure of living with you.

• 09/08/2013 04:23pm

Can you tell if someone’s lying by their use of function words?

"Yes. A person who’s lying tends to use “we” more or use sentences without a first-person pronoun at all. Instead of saying “I didn’t take your book,” a liar might say “That’s not the kind of thing that anyone with integrity would do.” People who are honest use exclusive words like “but” and “without” and negations such as “no,” “none,” and “never” much more frequently. We’ve analyzed transcripts of court testimony, and the differences in speech patterns are really clear."
    James W. Pennebaker is the chair of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin and the author of The Secret Life of Pronouns: What Our Words Say About Us (Bloomsbury Press, 2011).

You are a pompous ass.

• 09/10/2013 12:53pm

Whoa, what a post... That being said you anal twerp I am willing to bet you fit in several sad categories.....A) Single...
    B) Unattractive...C) Short on friends...D) Childless...E)...Overweight...F) No common sense. I base my assumptions on the fact that you have too much time on your hands, and instead of looking in the mirror it is easier for you to find small weaknesses of others rather than your obvious larger shortcomings. I, myself, is just an old fool, which propels me light years ahead of your anal disposition in life...Now don't be a hater.....

• 09/11/2013 05:48pm

L-O-N-G W-I-N-D-E-D bovine droppings. Spouting nonsense is your choice but, gdamn keep it BRIEF!?!

• 09/12/2013 02:25am

Why are you correcting this person's spelling? Are you kidding me? And just for the record he's right, that city is a mess and a sewer. Feel free to correct anything that I wrote.

• 09/16/2013 03:47pm

To lump every person in Detroit in the same category is not accurate and not helpful to the conversation.

• 09/16/2013 07:37pm

The owners have to take some responsibility in this mess. If you have an animals, especially one that looks wild, you have to take special care to confine it. We spend quite a bit of money and time to create a safe area for out pets. If you can afford to spend the money on the exotic cats you can afford to create a safe place for them.

• 09/16/2013 08:36pm

You talk way too much,get a life.

• 10/20/2013 05:21pm

I was not trying to win any spelling contests as you can see i have a problem with that,but that was not the point,i felt bad for what happened to the cat and because of the hard times going on there means every thing suffers more,i will try and do better .sorrey....

• 10/20/2013 07:16pm

Who the f. Uck cares about your stupid grammar? Stick to the point the writer was making and your entire response would have been good. I hate grammar nazis! You, along with the KKK, the deep south religious republicans, the far right and far left, should all of you be left on an arctic island naked and stranded FOREVER. Geeze we need to be RID of people like you!!!

• 10/21/2013 01:48pm

First off have a good day,it sounds like you could use someone being nice to you.Now lets get to the point,i have through many years given my time and money to wildlife shelters,SPCA,ext.Its not much but unfortunately that is all i can do,being the need is so great,i wish i could do more.You say that people like me should be shipped of to an island.Wow you are a scary person,what would you want done to someone who actually did something wrong.And again i feel bad for what happened to that magnificent cat,we must stand up for the ones that can't speak for themselves human or animal that just does not matter.Again i hope you have a good day...

• 12/21/2013 09:47pm

Well, sweet Jesus, some soul is really bored tonight. If you have the time to type out that missive, you must be waiting on the SSI check to hit the mailbox on Monday. For the record, I am a native of the Midwest, and I can testify that Detroit hit the wall, so to speak, in the late 1960s. But having said that, idiots with guns are everywhere. The fool that shot this cat should be ashamed. But I believe in Karma, and what goes around, comes around. But the lengthy spell check is quite funny. You never know what some folks may do when the cable gets turned off. The story of the decline of Detroit is an American tragedy. But this was just one idiot with a gun.

• 12/21/2013 09:58pm

Why Keep It Real- If nothing else, real is better than fake. I hope that you get to meet that special man, you know, that sexy vampire guy. I am sure that he is looking for you, tonight. I will pray for you.

• 09/14/2013 03:56pm

Maybe the cat should have been kept in a cage all the time? They owned it for several years. If a cat decides it's going to get outside it will find a way. I'm sure that the Savannahs are only better at it than standard domestic housecats. Don't blame the owners for the ignorance that led someone to shoot a cat.

• 09/16/2013 07:39pm

Our cats are in our house or in their caged area which has things for them to climb on and sun themselves. Just because there's a cage doesn't mean it has to be horrible. And yes they needed to have a safe area for this animal. After all you don't allow you kids to run loose if they can't take care of themselves do you?

• 09/24/2013 09:29am

I don't see how you can blame the Cat's family. Accidents do unfortunately happen. The cat got out and ended up being killed by some POS. The death of that cat ultimately rests with that aforementioned POS who murdered it. That POS can thank God that I don't know who they are because anyone who did that to such a beautiful animal would not receive any mercy from me.

• 10/06/2013 02:54pm

Totally agree. Pets need to be secured to the home. These wiley creatures will find their way out because it is their nature to explore. The owners are at fault but that doesn't excuse the idiot who shot and dumped the cat. Still, Detroit, my hometown, is very very scary and I understand the naked fear.

• 12/19/2013 12:57pm

I myself and my wife are animal lovers and my wife and I run a self supported animal rescue. Yes we totally support our animals ourselves with no outside help. We had a Savannah cat and a Bengal cat which loved being out in the stable with our horses. They were equipped with GPS tracer collars. They got out one day when we were not at home on us and we found them both shoot and killer and buried in a neighbors yard. The neighbor thought they were wild cats and would harm their horses. A few weeks before a wild panther was spotted in our area and they assumed that our cats were the wild panthers. I loved our cats very much, heck they loved to cuddle up to us at night, as we do all our animals, believe me, we buy feed and food for our animals before we eat ourselves. I was super pissed because our neighbor had seen our cats in our barn before when they were smaller but not since they grew to such a large size. I later come to understand why he did what he did but it still hurts to this day. We had called for assistance in finding them and had no luck until after a little over a week later we got a signal from their collars when we were fixing a fence near our neighbors property line. He never told us about shooting them even though he knew we were looking for them. Their collars had our name, address, phone number and email addy on them even and he never responded even after burying them. We ended up with a huge fine for them (animal at large) getting out. But the real kicker was how they got out, our house was broken into while we were not home, the back door was left open by the burglars and our cats just wondered off. They had been out before but never left our property, turns out they were shoot while walking on our fence which is 12 inches on our property from the property line so they never left our property until after they were shot. The neighbor never got arrested but we did win a law suit against them but I would rather have my cats back which can not happen. I did not even want the money from the suit so we donated it to several other animal rescues we know of.
    What is my point, we do not know the entire story of how the cat got out, Savannah's are known home bodies, something must have spooked it for it to run off as they are not known to wander off especially from their home and food source. Yes someone shoot the cat but we do not know the mindset of the shooter, that person may have thought it was a wild animal due to the size of it and he may have thought he was protecting his or his own. I have seen wild cougars in Detroit before so how was the shooter to know. It may have been an act of killing for the fun of killing but really, he may have thought a cat that big could or would hurt his children of even his own pet. Yes it is senseless but you can not really say without knowing all the facts.
    Now for the grammar nuts out there, yes pick apart my typing, I do not care, I just love all animals, after all they can not speak for themselves, they need nuts like me to help them and I will to my end! Better grammar will not help me with taking care of the animals so frankly "I do not give a damn about my grammar"

• 09/04/2013 10:05am

Chum looks similar to my Bengal, Debbie. Debbie is a cross between a domestic tabby and an Asian leopard cat. I feel terrible for the family and the cat. Yes, they look different and when loved don't run away but wonder if you could are a friend or a foe. I would also be devastated if someone shot my Bengal to death and threw her out like trash.

• 09/16/2013 04:02pm

I too own a Bengal and they are a handful. This is why we have a secure caged area (10' x 15') for our cats and dog to go outside safely. People owning exotic pets need to know their needs. We didn't buy our Bengal (she's a rescue).

• 09/21/2013 03:12pm

Truly they are a JOY to own!

I can't imagine being cruel to animals. I am SHOCKED that some on here have no problem with animal cruelty.

• 09/05/2013 02:09pm

I am not an animal activist b any means, but I do love animals/pets and I guarandamntee, you shoot at 1 of my animals, and you will have a gatling gun returning fire.

Sucks that people have no common sense these days, but hey I am not surprised.

• 09/06/2013 10:26am

Your use of the term "gatling gun" should have been "Gatling gun". The term first appeared in 1867 in reference to a machine gun with a revolving cluster of barrels invented by the American inventor Richard J. Gatling.

• 09/07/2013 02:15pm

Wow again, get a life you big loser

• 09/10/2013 04:49pm

Looks like the grammar police is out. Its an internet message board, who cares if I didnt properly capitalize the "g" in Gatling.

• 09/15/2013 04:42pm

should be 'are' out, not 'is' out.... sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

• 09/14/2013 04:04pm

Footnotes please! And include a photo of Gatling's grave and copies of the pertinent patents, anecdotes of his contemporaries who actually witnessed the firing of the gun and some analysis of the psychology of Gatling Gun users...(yes I am laughing my ass off)

• 09/20/2013 11:50pm

Pretty sweet Copy/Paste.
    See how I capitalized the C & P when it shouldn't have!!

• 10/30/2013 12:05pm

Keepitreal, your need to correct this guy because of what you think is a grammar error is quite disturbing. Perhaps you should get out more often and I don't know get a LIFE? Or does your need to correct everyone on grammar make you feel so much better because in reality, it masks the fact that you are a hopeless, lonely loser?
    There are probably several grammar errors on this posting for you to locate and fill your pathetic ego of yours...have a great day asz_hole!!!!

• 09/07/2013 02:24pm

This is all around heart breaking and makes me sick to my stomach. If that was my cat I wouldn't sleep until I found the s.o.b shooter. When I found him I would cut his balls off, grind them up and make him eat it... It would take me a bit longer to think about what I would do if she was a female.. Yep! Animals over stupid a.hole humans always!

• 09/16/2013 04:04pm

And how does that make you any different then the person that shot the cat?

• 10/20/2013 07:26pm

Because Puggleperson is PROTECTING US from the kind of evil person who would DO that to an animal in the first place. I don't think that putting a sick person down is cruel at all. I think it's cruel to keep that person alive to hurt other innocent creatures.

• 09/08/2013 06:38pm

Detroit has 2 or three animal control officers for the whole city so calling them is of no use. Sad that the wrong person caught this cat and inhumanely handled it.

• Safety first
    09/11/2013 03:27pm

This is why it is so important to have a safe caged area (caged top,bottom and sides) for your pets. We live in a rural area and have a huge cage for our cats and dog. Many others allow their pets to roam free and are shocked when the pets are killed by ranchers or wildlife.

• No Title
    09/11/2013 05:37pm

Wow, nobody ate it? I'm impressed.

• ValerieWagner1
    09/11/2013 05:38pm

It is always people that make the mistakes when it comes to animals. It's the poor creatures that suffer from our mishandling--no matter how well intentioned. In this case, a pet escaped the safety of his home and some snake in the grass shot him. I've seen a lot more fearsome dogs cause far more 'fear' than this Savannah Cat. You can bet dollars to donuts that the killer was a cat hater.

• triakis
    09/15/2013 04:17pm

ignorant morons, great statement about Detroit...
    like that crap-hole need anymore bad press.

• 09/15/2013 04:20pm

oops... any more, not anymore

• Moron cat hater
    09/16/2013 03:49pm

This is a shame. Savannahs are beautiful cats and very friendly. What kind of moron would kill one of these magnificent animals?

• 09/16/2013 04:07pm

Either someone who had no idea what it was probably and was scared of its size. Or someone that just enjoys killing things. In either case they need to be prosecuted. But that probably will not happen due to the city's lack of funds. I'm surprised someone has created a tracking chip so that if you own a cat that tends to get out you can find it.

• Triakis
    09/16/2013 07:28pm

The vast majority of people who kill cats or any other pets are not on an invasive species elimination crusade (humans are the most invasive and ecologically destructive species, I worked with David Jessup DVM and stray cat elimination advocate)... a good percentage are probably just low grade sociopaths or even a few serial killers in training (e.g. Jeffrey Dahmer et al. would skin and torture squirrels, cats, etc. before moving on to more 'interesting' two legged quarry)...

• Finn
    09/24/2013 02:23pm

I can see how someone might blame the family for this, because they allowed the pet to be vulnerable. But it's also a bit cruel to make this pet's family feel worse than they already do. It was a tragic mistake to leave the window open, and I'm sure they've gone over it in their minds repeatedly, agonizing over "what ifs".

That's what we did when our tegu went missing. My partner had three of our pets in our fenced backyard, and while he was feeding one of them, the tegu slipped under the fence. We had no idea he could fit under it, and it's not like we left him unattended out there, but as I'm sure anyone with kids knows, it only takes a second while your back is turned for something to go horribly wrong. We realized he was missing within a minute, but our yard backs to the woods and he only had a few feet to go before he had a million things to be lost under.

For six days and nights we didn't go to work, barely slept, didn't eat, only went out to check the animal shelter and to post fliers. We spent whole days on our hands and knees clawing through brush in the woods, covered in mosquito bites and ticks (and during cicada season - ew). We spent over $1,000 (the tegu only cost $350) to hire two different dog tracking companies to trace him. We went door to door through four neighborhoods to make sure people knew he was missing. We personally talked to as many people as we could, to let them know he was tame, because we knew that if someone saw him (a giant five foot lizard) they may likely try to decapitate him with a shovel or something worse. People were so repulsed and terrified by the idea of him, it was heartbreaking for me, and I was so scared for him.

The ironic thing is that while we were handing out fliers, I was bitten on the leg by someone's dog, yet everyone was so afraid of our tegu, who has NEVER tried to bite anyone (and he meets new people all the time). It's so true that people are scared of what they don't understand.

We finally found Finnegan basking in someone's front yard and haven't let him out without a leash since. Reading this article makes me remember how lucky we felt to have a happy ending. Would I have felt guilty if he had been hurt, killed, or missing forever? OF COURSE! But I would hope that others would have had compassion for my family, when we obviously love and care for our pet so much.

Between the person who accidentally lost their cat, and the person who intentionally took it's life, it seems clear that the latter is the one deserving of everyone's anger and disgust.

• Crule people deserve same
    10/03/2013 04:07am

The cat was beautiful and reminds me of my cat Tigger in a way (died 5/1/2012 at the age of 11 years) the people that killed this cat and through it in the trash are not people in my opinion. they are lower than an amoeba we should setup the same punishment for this cruel act that what ever you do to another animal is done to you, and see how many would do this. Would make people think twice about it.

• Microchipped?
    11/13/2013 07:12am

The author concludes "All pets should also be microchopped."
    Is there any evidence or reason to believe whoever killed this cat took the time to check for a microchip, or that it would have made a difference?

• Ignorance is deadly
    11/13/2013 11:08am

The exotic pet trade is rife with issues. Servals are not domesticated (domestication takes many generations) and exhibit many wild traits.They require specialized diets and living conditions.Regardless of whether or not this Savannah was "legally" obtained, exotic pets are not a good choice(for the owners or the animals.) There are literally millions of healthy ,beautiful cats of all shapes and sizes killed in the United States in shelters yearly.That being said, this poor animal had nothing to do with the ignorance of the situation it was fatally involved in.
    I find it interesting that a rescue responded to look for the cat even though it was stated that Animal Control was called several times with no response .Isn't that what tax payers pay AC to do?They must have been too busy killing pets that week.
    Exotic pets are expensive (which is why breeders breed them) and as animals are considered property, I would think the owners could express their intent to press charges which might bring about an investigation into the shooting of their pet.

• Sorry but did the shooter
    12/19/2013 01:33pm

• How Tragic
    02/17/2014 05:58pm

The poor cat! The owners should've left the window closed. How irresponsible. This is so sad. It could have been prevented.