Dog Saves French Woman from Suicide Attempt

By AFP News    March 06, 2013 at 10:21AM / (62) comments

AVIGNON, France - A French woman's loyal German Shepherd dog saved her from committing suicide by knocking aside a rifle she tried to fire into her heart, local police said.

The 63-year-old woman had walked into her garden in the southern town of Sorgues in the Vaucluse region, fired several test shots of a 22-caliber rifle and then turned the gun on her chest.

"At the moment she pulled the trigger, her dog jumped on her and diverted the shot," a local police officer told AFP, adding that the dog "probably sensed things and knocked into her to save her."

The woman was found by her husband, conscious but suffering from a chest wound. She was taken to hospital but her injury is not considered life-threatening.

Image: Nataliya_Ostapenko / via Shutterstock

Source: AFP

• Dog saves woman
    05/01/2013 07:50am

And to think that some people think animals are dumb. they are God's gift to us and we should take care of them. I think this is a wonderful story that shows the love her dog had for her...I hope the lady finds help with her problems/

• 05/26/2013 01:52pm

Animals ARE dumb. Aside from this speculative nonsense offered by the police officer, the chance of the animal having some great knowledge and insight are as likely as my having a family of cheetahs living in my backside.

• 05/27/2013 03:34pm

Dogs are very smart (as is, other animals). You are the DUMB one, Larry. You should have just kept your mouth shut, LOSER!!!

• 08/13/2013 10:22am

Good comment Connie. Larry has a long way to go. I pity his cluelessness. May he one day realize how little he knows.

• 05/31/2013 06:09pm

Animals, especially dogs, do have a sort of sixth sense
    do know when their masters are in distress. That's probaly what the dog was reading. This particular dog could easily sense that you are an idiot, Larry the Clown.

• 06/17/2013 06:51pm

A few weeks ago while walking on my property, I was on a very slanted expanse. Momentum got me going downhill uncontrollably...blink...my huge dog was on the down side of me stopping my movement. I hadn't said a word. She ran from behind me and stopped dead still which stopped me.

• 07/30/2013 05:40pm

I can't understand how you can say a dog is dumb. Apparently, you are the one who knows nothing about animals and the senses the have. They are highly alert animals to our mental and physical behavior. There is too much proof to disprove your theory. Maybe you should really read before you reply. However, maybe your oblivious answer to reading may be dumb?

• 06/21/2013 12:47am

Not sure if you are serious w/ your response Larry, but if you are, you should probably lower your voice before you wake up the family of cheetahs living on your backside. Just because people and animals don't think the way you do, doesn't make them stupid. It just makes you incredibly ignorant which is far worse than stupid and much more dangerous.

• 07/29/2013 05:22pm

Larry is just not that bright. Poor thing.

• 06/22/2013 12:37am

With a comment like this I hope you don't own a dog! I fear for their well being if you do. People who think dogs are dumb are the kind of people who tie their dogs out side and neglect them. Even if you don't believe the dog jumped up to save his owner to call animals dumb on a site for animals isn't very smart. I am truely worried about any animals in your care.

• 06/23/2013 08:55am

Hmmm. "Animals are dumb". Sounds like a projection to me. "IF" you are human, you are an animal...thus according to your words, Dumb". You have my vote.

• 06/24/2013 12:32pm

Animals dont start wars, live unconditionly and will die for thier masters.

Humans kill for a thrill, steal, mame and harm others for money or other stupid stuff. They have no loyalty and most humans in this day and time are cowards.

Ill be keeping my dogs, they teach courage and loyalty and bring me great pleasure.

• 07/01/2013 12:24pm

T M I larry ! Whatever and whom ever grows in your backside is really not what the world is concerned with .
    i have gold fish that are smarter than you .

• 07/04/2013 08:52pm

Many animals are smarter than humans. And boy, do I feel sorry for those cheetas.

• 07/07/2013 01:06am

The more I see of people, the more I love my dogs.

• 07/12/2013 07:50pm

No, you're dumb if you think that another creature, especially a dog, cannot see and hear a gun fired several times, and then pick up that it will harm a person if she fires it at herself. You think that only a HUMAN mind can pick up on that. You're the stupid one. Plus, dogs read pheromones and natural energy that all living creatures produce. I'm sure both of these natural signals were going crazy.

• 07/17/2013 10:02am

Larry is correct, whatever caused that dog to jump on the lady, it probably didn't include"thinking" about it. But, the [i]instinct[/i] of the animal drove him to act. Did he know the exploding stick she was holding would hurt her? Probably not, but he liked the lady and he didn't like the exploding stick.

• 07/20/2013 11:40am

Good way of putting it Joel. And I'd go so far as to say that after being present for several test shots, the dog understood which was the business end of the stick just like he'd understand the business end of a snake and didn't want it pointing at his person.

• 07/18/2013 11:52am

The only dumb individual here is you. I bet you're a total self absorbed jerk. Anyone who has read any of the research will tell you that there are bonds between animals and people that defy explanation. I Hope that you never have the pleasure or the responsibility of owning a pet--you don't deserve the joy.

• 07/20/2013 05:45pm

Well, Larry, congratulations (I guess); you are the only known living being with cheetahs prowling around in your backside. Although, I would imagine any animal would sense your opinion of them and never willingly take up residence with you, never mind IN you. Certainly hope you are never in need of another animal's assistance. I would think the 2-legged h0m0-sapien types are wary of you as well. Good luck bitter man.

• 07/23/2013 01:05pm

They most certainly are smart, Larry. There are many different types of service dogs. One is for epilepsy. A dog can sense before a seizure is about to occur and urge their pet parent to take a seat or lie down so as not to end up falling down when the seizure takes place.

• 07/25/2013 02:33pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 07/29/2013 05:20pm

Reading your post, it seems extremely likely to me.

• 07/29/2013 05:57pm

Larry, you have no idea what you're talking about. When she's with me, my dog knows whenever I am in distress, depressed, very anxious, etc. It is almost creepy, she's so accurate--and she always seems to know before my mood escalates into something darker. Animals can absolutely read their guardians' moods--they watch our body language, facial expressions, changes in voice, etc. I'm betting you do not have any animals at home--or perhaps your animals are not treated very kindly, or you have not bonded with them.

My dog's emotional connection to me, and her obvious care and concern for my well-being, is indisputable to anyone who has witnessed us together.

• 07/30/2013 02:59pm

It is too bad you have never known exactly what an animal is capable of. Those who do not allow their heart to be affected by an animal are truly lost souls.

• 07/30/2013 05:34pm

Sorry Larry, you are the dumb one! Animals possess more senses than you obviously ARE capable of being a human? It probably is true. Cheetah's are living in your back yard and are breaking the lease to get away from you. Please give forethought into things you say to help prevent yourself from looking DUMB.

• 08/01/2013 02:47pm

But Sir ... you DO have a family of cheetahs living in your backside!

• 08/09/2013 04:49pm

Thank goodness that there won't be a dog or any other animal (including humans) to help Larry when he needs it.

• 08/19/2013 05:35pm

Well, Larry, I've heard about Gerbils in ones backsides but Cheetahs -- That would mean that your arse is much larger than you pea sized brain which is obviously in need of some education.
    Animals DO sense wrongs within their owners, many have been saved by their family pets.
    I can't speak of Cheetahs in your backside as this is a first of hearing about this....you have one large arse; hope you trimmed their nails first!!!

• 08/29/2013 10:38pm

I hope somebody here has been able to rescue the abused cheetahs.

• 10/17/2013 10:05am

Larry's arse is big enough for the cheetas because he has stretched it out for years with his head stuck up there.

• 08/19/2013 07:11pm

You have the right to believe what you want and far be it from to try and change your mind, BUT I am firm believer that animals are smart and do stop people from doing things as well as helping people with medical problems. How do animals know to take the same path down a trailer without being led. Yes they are trained, but if they wasn't smart or had a brain, they wouldn't be able to do that. Believe what you want, but I think you and a very few others are the only one's that believe that. I am glad that the dog done what he did and it is too bad someone didn't see the sign's of what she was about to do. Yes there were sign's but people are too busy worrying about their selves to even care about anyone else. God bless you and thank god that you have a choice to think what you want.

• 08/20/2013 11:24am

If dogs are so dumb, why do police use them in their work? If dogs are so dumb why are they used as guide dogs for the blind, or therapy dogs for people with different kinds of disabilities? I've read where an owner's dog detected her cancer, which she didn't know she had at the time. Jeanie

• 08/20/2013 12:56pm

The definition of dumb (according to the Oxford dictionary) is unable to speak -- hence the phrase "dumb animals." The definition of someone whose big mouth is busy long before the brain wakes up -- well, that's up for grabs. Any suggestions, people?

• 10/17/2013 10:09am

That is what we call an idiot. Larry, your village called, they are missing their idiot and want you back. Hope that village is somewhere devoid of furry friends.

• 08/26/2013 01:41pm

30-odd years ago I was living in an apartment. Someone I didn't know well stopped by for a visit. My German Shepherd was introduced to the visitor and then retreated to his favorite spot to keep an eye on whatever transpired. After talking for half an hour, the visitor reached down as if to scratch his ankle. My dog was on him instantly, holding him by the wrist. The visitor was wearing an ankle holster containing a .23 snub-nosed revolver. My dog had never seen a firearm nor was he trained to recognize one. He just knew.

• 10/02/2013 12:02pm

you are dumb for even making this comment get a life

• 10/05/2013 03:12pm

If only you were as smart as this dog, you would have enough sense to post intelligent comments.

• 10/06/2013 10:24am

One can only hope.

• 08/13/2013 10:19am

Dogs absolutely are God's gift to humans. They love us despite all our flaws, providing comfort, support and never-ending loyalty.......all without saying a word. All of the dogs I have owned in my lifetime have given me so much joy. All dogs do go to heaven.

• Dog Saves Idiot
    05/05/2013 08:17am

Bad move Fido, next time she tries to kill herself
    she'll whack you first !!

• Inconsiderate
    06/21/2013 02:03pm

What a sick inconsiderate woman. Anyone who spent any time with German Shepherds knows that the dogs know that you are the pack leader and they cater to you, and read your emotions. But to try to kill yourself in front of your dog is truly insulting and harmful to the dog.

Maybe it was a final cry for help, either way, she is way messed up.

• 07/17/2013 10:32am

The dog is more important to you then the woman?? WAKE UP!

• 07/25/2013 02:44pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 08/14/2013 02:50pm

They are both important and no one said otherwise. But it's correct to say that dog considers her human master to be his pack leader and trusts and relies upon her. It was cruel of the woman to try to commit suicide with no thought for those she would leave behind including her loyal dog.

• 08/14/2013 05:32pm

I agree with your comments. My opinion is that people who are intentionally committing suicide are totally in self-centered and self-indulgent mode. It's a "me/myself/and I" action that indeed has no consideration of those being left behind including her dog. One of my friends husband shot himself in their bedroom. When I commented that he could have done it outside where she didn't have to clean up the mess...her compassionate reply was..."he felt comfortable in that room and maybe he needed that comfort to do what he did". I was stunned by her compassion and will never forget it.

• 08/14/2013 05:33pm

• 08/26/2013 03:42pm

I disagree with your theory about people who commit suicide. There are those who do it to escape something they did illegally and got caught - so instead of jail they commit suicide so they don't have to face the consequences of what they have done.
    Then there are those who are chemically imbalanced and fight everyday to survive these ailments - I am one of them and it has nothing to do with being self-centered, or the me/myself/and I as you state. I was born this way and the pain that I feel is extremely intense and at times unbearable. The older I get the harder it is because I am losing the will to fight. However, if I feel like I don't want to live - I seek help, professional help. With this comes all the stigmatic names that for those who don't have this do not understand nor do they care. You don't know the woman in the article but you have judged her as if you have the right; you don't. Karma will always come back 10-fold - maybe with you; a close relative; or a wife/child/grandchild or your best friend. Since you judge so quickly people will never reveal to you their feelings or ailments because you feel you are above them. It is just how cruel this world can be because of their ignorance to mental health issues. I pray it never effects you or your family but a person who is at the point of thinking their life is not worth living aren't being inconsiderate they are in a great deal of pain and it debilitates them to the point they know the only way they don't have to live with it anymore is just not to live.
    Please stop JUDGING and read up on mental health issues and then try to imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes.

• 08/26/2013 04:39pm

Well Lori,
    You seem to be taking "my opinion" personally. I'm not judging anyone. I have an opinion. That doesn't make me think that this woman or anyone (including you) having suicidal thoughts are right/wrong, good/bad,or positive/negative. No, I don't understand your life experiences nor this woman's and frankly, they don't sound that interesting. I'm lucky to understand my own life experiences. Since I have attempted suicide myself, I do have a bit of experience with the mindset. AND since you don't understand my life experiences nor this woman's you are speculating from your "victim" point of view just as I am speculating from my point of view.. Opinions are like noses, most people have them, and obviously, you are entrenched in yours. So Lori, I differentiate between opinions and judgments. And even if I didn't, I get to judge anyone or anything that I choose. You aren't the master of me.

• 08/26/2013 06:03pm

Mental health is a personal topic for me. People like you who say 'I attempted' and then belittle those who have or also attempted are usually so full of it...as you lack compassion and take pride in making light of what ails others. I highly doubt you ever attempted suicide because those who have usually are quite humble and NOT arrogant and judging as you are. I am NOT a victim -- I am a survivor so don't get your thoughts twisted- a person who fights to live every day is not a victim. Something about the article drew you in - was it a red-flag for you to be mean & callous; or was it about the dog? I never said I knew you; I just stated you are a very cold person and you shouldn't judge others based on their mental illness'.

• 08/26/2013 09:13pm

You obviously want to continue in your contentious accusations.
    You are right about it all Lori because in reality you are talking about yourself and projecting it on me and I suspect others. This is my last reply to what I consider an emotionally retarded posts from you. Get help.

• Humans are animals.
    06/23/2013 09:03am

I hope am not duplicating my post. Well Larry is certainly getting the attention that he seems to desire with his insensitive, incorrect, and dishonoring comments. Humans are animals and if you (Larry) are human, you are an animal thus by your definition, dumb. I think you are correct in your projection.

• Dog Smarts
    07/03/2013 05:45pm

Sorry Larry, but dogs do have an innate protective instinct. They can tell when harm might be done to an individual they consider part of their family and will step in to prevent it. We test our own dog from time to time by fake-slapping each other and yelling "ouch" and he always rushes in to bump us apart and sit between us to diffuse what he perceives to be harmful behavior. If we don't stop, he jumps on us and gets in our faces to give us the message to stop. I am quite confident that the dog in question had seen enough of that rifle to determine it would harm his person and reasoned he'd step in to prevent any harm.

• I love dog
    07/08/2013 03:10pm

Dog are great. Very tasty. Mostly Germain Shepherd.

• 07/25/2013 02:46pm

This comment has been flagged as inappropriate.

• 07/12/2013 01:36pm

I hope Larry is going to see his proctologist soon! After all there are anti cruelty laws! Those poor cheetahs must be miserable! Plus Larry's head is so far up that area that it is going to take surgery to free it.

Again the "human" animal is showing his arrogance by spouting the bilge water of "animals are stupid, they don't think" garbage. If animals are as dumb as he believes, how can they be taught anything? How are they taught to perform on television? How can they be taught to help the handicapped? How can they be taught to do police work? Shall I continue?

Many people make the statement that animals are stupid, but have they ever considered that humans may be the ones that aren't quite bright? For example, if you are in France for example and can't speak French, does this make YOU stupid???? Or does it make the French stupid???? I am not putting down the French or calling anyone stupid, I am just using the French as a way of making my point. Just because we can't speak the language that our animals speak doesn't make them or us stupid; it is just an inability to communicate and doesn't make anyone "dumb". Actually, when you think about it, animals are extremely bright. After all with a sloppy wet kiss or a purr these supposedly "dumb" animals have us catering to them. We feed them daily, take care of their medical needs, make sure they have plenty of exercise and fun....and spend millions of dollars every year on their upkeep. Our companion animals are provided with soft sleeping places, specialty foods and treats, and the best of everything...who is "dumb" now?

[b][i][u]WISE UP LARRY!!!!![/u][/i][/b]

• 07/12/2013 01:44pm

Loverbear...you write so well, with such clarity. Yea. Great post that has my agreement. I giggled lavishly at the proctology comment. Thank you.

• 07/21/2013 10:13pm

Animals adapted and evolved. They are not stupid, and are generally capable of learning to react and adjust to what nature throws at them, but their level of thought cognition, to become cops, learn a new language, be a tour guide etc... they are lower than humans. Dogs have a greater sense of smell, direction etc... They aren't stupid, but they are not very capable of achieving a high level of understanding for the things you listed.

• 08/02/2013 03:04pm

My dog just told me Larry was an assclown. Smart Dog!

• 08/02/2013 06:52pm

I recall just recently that a shitz su rescued a kitten in distress they were both rescued and the dog even started lactating to mother the hungry kitten. story on aol just goes to show animals are more caring and can be more humane than humans.
    don't underestimate the smartness of a canine
    some cats have been known to know when a person has cancer and will go to their side.

and don't forget the dog in japan who would never leave his dead masters grave site. for years people would feed him cause they knew he would not leave.The dog was in a movie with Richard Geer More loyal than a human mate.

• 08/14/2013 02:46pm

There is a statue of the loyal dog in Toykyo. Recently, a dog came to his master's funeral at a church and every day the dog returns there when he hears the bells.

• 08/21/2013 01:30pm

Mine just told me something similar, very smart dogs!

• Dog saves woman
    08/20/2013 12:39pm

Listen up all you "dumb-bells." The definition of the word "dumb" is "unable to speak," hence the phrase "dumb animal." The only really dumb/stupid ones are those who think that animals are stupid. Not so. Most of them have more smarts than all of you combined. Some of the major signs of ignorance are the big mouths that get going long before the brain is activated. Pity.

• Love the four legs!
    09/11/2013 12:38pm

You guys really should learn to recognize an internet troll (like Larry Clone). That way you can put to better use that wasted time you spent responding to the troll's intentionally controversial comments.

• Dogs are smart
    10/13/2013 04:47pm

When I was growing up we had a fox terrier, there were 5 of us kids and anytime we got into any tussles, she always protected the youngest, or smallest in the fight, without being told. If the fight continued she would bark until my Mother, her pack leader, showed up to end it. Later on we had a german shepard/black lab mix that I enjoyed tussling with, but if she got too rough, all I had to do was whimper and she would immediately stop and rush towards me tail wagging to make sure I was ok.

Maybe dogs are not "smart" the way we humans see it, but they smart in the only way that really matters: protect the pack at all cost.