Dachshund Sacrifices Life and Saves Men from Bear Attack

By Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell    September 27, 2013 at 10:14AM / (9) comments

Dachshunds, once bred to hunt badgers, have to be fearless. A Michigan dachshund named Bradley was no exception.

A carefree afternoon turned tragic when John Force and a group of friends took a ride on a golf cart into the woods. Bradley went with his dad.

When the men saw the 400-pound bear bear on the trail with her cubs, the bear stared them down, which made Bradley, who was only 4-5 pounds, jump off of the cart and go after her. The two got into a scuffle and the bear even threw Bradley, who didn’t give up in the fight. Eventually the bear grabbed the dog and took off into the woods.

The group of men finally scared the bear away and Force rushed his brave dog to an emergency vet. Unfortunately, Bradley’s wounds were too severe and he died an hour after the attack.

The Force family says Bradley had always been dominant in his pack, which included two Rottweiler brothers. "I would expect him to protect me before the Rottweilers, probably," Lisa Force said.

The Forces believe the situation may have ended much differently had Bradley not been with them. One of the men had suffered a stroke only days before the incident and most likely couldn't have run away from the bear.

While the family was very sad over losing their little hero, they apparently were given a gift in remembrance of Bradley just days later.

A woman who identifies herself as “Tammy” on the 9&10 News site wrote in the comments section, “John now has a new furry friend. My husband and I were contemplating rehoming one of our dachshunds because we had two that just would not get along (dominance issue) . When we seen [sic] this news clip we knew exactly what we had to do. Last night John came over and we sent Buddy, our male black and tan mini dachsund [sic] home with him. And Buddy looks just like Bradley. We will miss Buddy but it warms my heart to help someone. Hoping it works out well for them all.”

In that same comments section, Lisa Force replied, “Tammy your [sic] an angel! We can’t thank you enough! He snuggled right in with us last night didn’t make a peep and is now napping on my lap. Your kindness will not go unnoticed!!”

Editor’s Note: Photo of Bradley submitted by the Force family to 9&10 News.

Dachshund Sacrifices Life and Saves Men from Bear Attack originally appeared on Pet360.com

Have you ever had a tiny dog think he is much bigger than he actually is? What do you think of Bradley's heroic actions?

• Not surprised at all
    10/11/2013 10:37am

I have 3 Chihuahuas and they are as feisty as ever. It doesn't surprised me that Bradley would do this.

What sort of surprised me is that there are such loving people out in the world like Tammy. Just when my faith in society is crumbling, someone like Tammy steps in to help me believe again. Whether it be divine intervention that showed Tammy the story or what, I am forever grateful that she opened her heart to the Force's. Thank you so much.

• 10/13/2013 10:10am

I totally agree...the lady that offered her dog to help them was a pleasant surprise to me too!!!

• CJS
    10/18/2013 08:37am

I am sitting here crying while reading your story - Bradley was a brave soul and his family was lucky to have had his love and bravery - and am sure they will enjoy Buddy and God bless Tammy for seeing the story and sharing her Buddy with them. We have a Jack Russell named Toby who is also very protective. Dogs are God's creatures and we are lucky to have them in our lives. Bless you and your family.

• Oscar to the rescue
    11/28/2013 02:15pm

I wasn't surprised by this article. I have a doxy that backed a black bear up and finally chased it off in the Colorado Rockies. I was busy building a fire one summer evening, and my dog, Oscar started barking… my back was turned to him and I yelled at him to knock it off. He persisted and when I turned around I saw the reason… a large black bear was only about 15 feet away and was being backed up by Oscar, who showed no fear at all. The bear gave up and ambled off with Oscar chasing him at a distance. I don't ever fear being approached by anything, anytime when Oscar is around…
    Sorry for your loss, and applause to the kindness of Tammy.

• Slandering wildlife
    01/01/2014 03:23pm

I am no longer believing these stories. There had only been 60 attacks on humans by black bears since 1900 in this country. There had never been an attack by a healthy wolf on this entire continent , now the press is suddenly claiming them. It seems the new owners of most of our media, even Animal Planet, are trying to make people fear animals that do not deserve this. The BBC did a long article about America's so called reality shows, and the lies they are telling about our wildlife. This is sad, and it makes me very angry. Big oil, mining interests, clear cut timber , and the most unethical hunting groups are all part of a powerful group named " ALEC". They are trying to make people dislike wildlife, so that won't get in the way of their atrocities.. Like Tar Sands... so so sad.

• 01/02/2014 09:40am

I don't see it that way at all. ANimals have been bred to be brave and these guys clearly fit that bill. There is no evidence that this or any other story recounting human/animal encounters is false.

• 01/04/2014 01:02pm

The world would be a much better place if you would take off your blinders.
    Because the BBC said it, it's true? Seems to me you are what you profess to disdain.

• 01/04/2014 03:26pm

Come on. That there are forces out there that are against wildlife cannot be doubted. But there are many true stories like this one. By the way, the story is not about the bear, it is about the dog. The bear did not attack the people; it was just there; it did nothing wrong. The bear was only defending itself and its cubs against the monstrous inbred bear-eating dachshund.

• 01/11/2014 10:56am

These confrontations are happening because suburbs have spread into what was once bear & wolf habitat. People now buy "ranchettes" or vacation homes miles into so-called wilderness & proceed to behave as if they are in the city. Moreover, wolves, in particular, had been hunted to near extinction. Now, they've rebounded enough to be taken off of the endangered list. As they've rebounded, they've returned to old territories. What is basically happening is too many people being where they should not be... when they should not be there... & they don't know how to act. In the past, unless you were a hunter, you didn't intrude into "bear" territory... hunters knew how to act to avoid nasty situations. Add to that, the fact that with expanded human habitation, bears, mountain lions, coyotes, even wolves are under increased pressure because their ranges & sources of food are being diminished. Wolves will become like coyotes & learn to be city wolves. Bears in & around Los Angeles already know that trash day is when you can come down out of the hills to get a good meal & then, if it's hot, take a dip in someone's "tiny lake" & snooze it off in a tree. In LA, coyotes actually live in mid-city. They move about along bike paths, drainage ditches... going from open space to open space.