Car Stolen with Dog Inside: Owner Offers Thieves the Car Title

By Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell    September 05, 2013 at 11:20AM / (8) comments

You don’t want to mess with a guy’s dog.

That’s the message one man in Springfield, MO wanted to give to the man and woman who stole his 2009 Nissan Pathfinder on Thursday, with his pug, named Dugout, still inside.

The post Doug Clark made on Facebook asking for the return of his dog in exchange for the title to the vehicle went viral over the holiday weekend, with more than 77,000 shares and 36,000 likes as of this writing.

Clark told Pet360 in a telephone interview on Tuesday morning that Dugout was a gift for his 30th birthday and that he’s had the little pug since December 17. Dugout is approximately one year old.

Clark, who lives in Marshfield, MO near Springfield, went into a recycling center to turn in some scrap metal. He left his car unlocked, but running with the AC on for the dog, when the man and woman, who had been in front of him in line, went back out and left with the vehicle.

“I know it's just a car. But man (and woman), that was my dog. You don't mess with a guys (sic) dog,” Clark wrote on his Facebook page on Friday. He posted a picture of himself holding the title to the vehicle. “I also want you to know that you look quite silly trying to get that E brake off in the video surveillance that I got my hands on (and now the police have.)”

Clark continues, “I have an idea. You two just keep the ride. I'll meet you with the title to make your life easier. All you gotta bring is an alive Pug. That's it. Just give me a call.”

Clark is also offering a $2,000 reward to make that meeting happen.

On Sunday, Clark posted an update that the recycling business allegedly has the names of the thieves, as well as an address.

However, detectives from the Springfield Police Department were out until after the holiday and could not follow up.

Clark told Pet360 that he has no new information regarding the whereabouts of his pathfinder or Dugout. The recycling business owners have told him they’ve turned surveillance video over to the police, but they’ve refused requests for the suspects' information, which they obtained when the suspects did business there.

“I’ve gotten probably two dozen calls on pugs and have checked out about half, but none of them were Dugout,” says Clark.

Dugout was not microchipped and had just received a bath, so Clark says he wasn’t even wearing a collar or tags.

We hope that Clark recovers both his vehicle and Dugout, but especially Dugout.

This is a sad reminder to everyone never to leave your pet in your unlocked vehicle, even for a minute, and to always have your pets microchipped, as well as to put a collar on them with tags for identification.

How much reward would you offer to get your dog back?

Car Stolen with Dog Inside: Owner Offers Thieves the Car Title originally appeared on Pet360.com.

• .
    09/13/2013 10:23am

Did you find your dog?

• STAND UP 4 WHAT IS RIGHT!
    09/13/2013 10:53am

How come all the animal owners in this city have NOT come to the aide of Dugout and his owner by picketing the damn irresponsible recycling center? I am so sick and tired of people NOT caring enough to do anything for anyone else in this world! This story only proved that the whole entire city that this dog and owner living in are a bunch of idiot, whimpy, self-centered, uncaring people! THE PEOPLE IN THIS TOWN NEED TO GET OFF THEIR BUTTS AND DEMAND THAT THE RECYCLING CENTER GIVE THE NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE SUSPECTS OVER TO THE POLICE! THE ONLY REASON THE PEOPLE AT THE RECYCLING CENTER HAVE FOR NOT GIVING OVER ALL INFORMATION ON THE SUSPECTS WOULD BE BECAUSE THE OWNER AND/OR MANAGEMENT OF THE RECYCLING CENTER ARE PERSONAL FRIENDS OF THE THIEVES! EVERYONE IN THIS CITY NEEDS TO TAKE A STAND AND STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT. DEMAND THAT THE OWNER AND MANAGEMENT OF THE RECYCLING CENTER BE COMPLETELY INVESTIGATED BY THE PUBLIC AND POLICE DEPARTMENT. THEY ARE HIDING SOMETHING OR THEY WOULD NOT HESITATE TO HAND OVER THE NAMES AND ADDRESSES AND ANY OTHER INFORMATION THEY HAVE REGARDING THE SUSPECTS, INSTEAD OF WITHHOLDING IT FROM THE POLICE!

• 09/13/2013 03:12pm

This!
    Those nearby, please Do something for this doggie And his owner!

• OFF DUTY ?
    09/13/2013 11:30am

"However, detectives from the Springfield Police Department were out until after the holiday ...." WOW! Did crime take a holiday as well? Bad thing if you want police help. Good thing to know if you're planning a heist in Springfield, MO !! .

• 09/13/2013 03:14pm

Exactly what I was thinking. How can a whole town's police force be on vacation at the same time??

• 09/13/2013 03:49pm

That type of police behavior is nationwide. I live in a northern suburb of Detroit, MI. We pay high taxes, yet when my purse was stolen right off my arm in a store parking lot during a July 4th weekend, the first thing the police told me when I reported later that day that they used my debit/credit card 15 after my purse was stolen was "Well lady, you must have known the thieves, because they would not have been able to use your card!" When I suggested that they go to the gas station and collect the surveillance tapes, that was when I was told by the cop on the phone, "Well first there are no cameras in ATM machines and if there are, then they usually do not have tapes in them!" I countered with, "How about the tape from camera that gas stations have mounted behind the cashier's counter?" The cop then told me, "Lady, this is July 4th weekend there is only a handful of police officers on duty. Second, why bother because the gas station management may not give us the tape!"

So please "Captain" do NOT act surprised that police are understaffed at stations, many of us have come to know that many times it is due to police "legacy" personnel NOT wanting to work, because they think they are entitled to NOT have to work hard because they are a legacy child no thanks to their daddy, uncle(s), or grandfather. If you want to see lazy people collecting paychecks they really did not earn, then look no further than to the many of the legacy police officers in your own stations everyone!

I have always wondered why when anyone calls a fire station to report a fire you never hear, "Well is the fire hot?...Because if it is, then we will not send out our fire crew, because the may get burned!" Yet, when ever you call a police station, the first whimpy thing a cop ALWAYS ask is, "Does the suspect have a gun?...If so, then we are not really going to rush to the scene, because none of us want to get hurt or shot at!" It is for this reason alone that most people have more respect for firemen than they do police! I am not saying all police are whimpy or lazy. However lets face the truth, many police officers have proven themselves to be just that - whimpy and lazy, simply because their daddy, uncle(s) or grandfather told them about the perks of getting free restaurant food, union perks, and other free things simply for wearing the uniform, but not actually fighting any crime!

• Have a Heart~!
    09/13/2013 03:29pm

What is the deal with the Recycling Center not giving out the man and woman's name or address??? OR at the very least they (the Recycling Center) could get ahold of the people on their own and try to get the dog back? I am sooo tired of "privacy laws" or whatever in the hec the Center people are doing! AND if i lived in your area, i would make darn sure that NO ONE i know would frequent the Recyling Center. Makes me sick.

• Chipping Works!
    09/13/2013 09:19pm

When I adopted my Beagle-Walker hound from the Richmond SPCA in Nov. 1999, the FIRST thing I did was I went and got her chipped. Back then I found a clinic in Powhatan VA where I got her chipped for only $25.00. Thank God I never had to depend on it but I took her to a dog show several weeks after I got her and two separate hunters came up to me and offered to buy her right then! I just told them "Sorry, she's chipped and you couldn't afford her anyway, Buh bye!" Then the dog my daughter left at our house came into being mine and I took him and had him neutered and chipped as well. He's a darter and will get away from you so it's necessary with him! My Beagle-W.hound JOSEY has since passed from kidney failure but the other one Toby is still with me. CHIP CHIP CHIP!