Abusive Babysitter Exposed by Family Dog

By Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell    September 16, 2013 at 10:13AM / (63) comments

Two parents in South Carolina knew something wasn’t right when their normally mild mannered and playful dog started acting strange toward the babysitter they hired to watch their infant son.

Their dog’s behavior eventually led to the babysitter being convicted of abusing that same child.

Benjamin and Hope Jordan are like any other working parents; they needed to find someone to watch their son, Finn, while they worked to provide for their family.

After moving to Charleston, SC last year, they placed an ad and did all they thought they needed to do to ensure their 7-month-old child would be in good hands, including a background check on 21-year-old Alexis Khan.

The babysitter had been left alone with Finn and their dog, Killian, several times over five months when they noticed something terribly wrong with Killian when the sitter would come into the house.

“He was very aggressive towards her and a few times we actually had to physically restrain our dog from going towards her,” Benjamin Jordon told WTVR News

They decided to place an iPhone under the couch and record what happened after they left the home. What they heard on the recordings would horrify any parent.

They heard Finn crying and the babysitter telling him to “shut up,” and then slapping noises are heard on the tape. Eventually Finn’s cries turned from distress to pain, according to Jordon.

“I just wanted to reach through the audio tape, go back in time, and just grab him up,” he says.

Khan was arrested a few weeks later and charged with assault and battery. She was sentenced to serve 1-3 years in prison and will be eligible for parole after one year. The former babysitter will never be able to work with children again due to being placed on a child abuse registry.

The Jordons are very happy their dog alerted them to the abuse and say he might have saved Finn or another child’s life.

The family reports that Finn is doing very well and doesn’t appear to have any lasting scars from his five months of abuse.

Image: via WTVR CBS 6 News Facebook page

Source: WTVR News

• Former nanny & dog lover.
    08/28/2015 03:38am

People need to do a more thorough check of their young babysitter. Most are not trained to be one in the first place. I have a child development background and know better to hit a child for ANY reason.

I used to get turned down for jobs because the couple hired a younger nanny, only to find out later that they were horrible as a nanny. I was given the job when they fired them and was with the client until the baby was old enough to go to preschool. I trained them to know their colors, shapes and alphabet before the age of one! It's actually easy to do when you make it fun for them.

I'm doing other work now, but miss the many delightful children I cared for in the past. Best job ever! I was a mom of a 3 year old boy when I became a nanny for the first time. Prior to that, I was a Director of a large preschool in the city I live in now.

• 08/28/2015 02:37pm

Ok who needs all that much of your background? The first thing I was thinking was how good that dog is. Then how scary it would be for the parents. Then I was like "why is this person making the FIRST COMMENT going on and on about themselves here?"

• 08/29/2015 05:05am

Wow, what a negative person you are!

Are you one of the teenagers I replaced as a nanny a few years ago? Not everybody has the training to be a childcare giver. I became a nanny for two reasons: I wanted to be the one who did the initial training of my child(ren) and I had worked in the daycare industry for years and did not want my children in a daycare facility full of teenaged workers or workers who had very little training in early childhood education. Most of my education was experienced and self taught with reading many books on the subject.

In fact, reading to a child a lot, will increase their I.Q. That comes from several books I read on the brain. I know that it works because I read almost 25 to 30 fun books a day to my son and the two boys I took care of for 2 years. One is an attorney and the other is a dentist. I don't know their I.Qs. My own son has an I.O. of 155 and is working in a foreign country with his foreign born wife and making all kinds of money without the 4 year college degree. So if you have children, and they are still young, read to them a lot.

Bet you wished you hadn't said something negative about my post. I feel sorry for you as you can only think of something negative to say about my post. Hope you feel better soon and that you don't have any children past the age of 23 living off you.

• 08/29/2015 10:17am

Kt5555 was Not really being Negative, she was only Speaking the Truth... YOU WERE BRAGGING ON YOURSELF... Should have been Bragging on THE DOG, and being Glad that they Found Out that Their Child was being Abused.. I myself feel that YOU made This Totally about Yourself... Trying to give yourself a Pat on the Back or a Poorly Written Resume'... Maybe YOU should Listen to a few Comments about Negativity,,, THIS STORY WAS NOT ABOUT YOU OR YOUR "BACK PATTING SELF",,, Not to mention, YOU Putting Down Teens.. There Are actually Teens out there that are Not Child Abusers as Sitters, which You make them ALL Seem to be, just because of Their Age... Take Note: PEOPLE REALLY DON'T LIKE BRAGGERS!!

• 10/14/2015 05:20am

She isn't bragging. She's trying to get others to understand:
    It's not an easy job; You get better with experience; You have to be patient with the little ones; She KNOWS what she's talking about so you can take her word for it.

She's not bragging, only trying to get those with little experience to listen and learn do's and don'ts if you want to do a good job.

• 12/28/2015 05:09pm

She IS bragging and so are you. I worked in Day Care Centers for 6 years (in my younger days) and it's NOT a hard job. It's FUN.

If a person finds a child care job to be difficult then LEAVE THE JOB. There is NEVER an excuse for hitting a baby!

Good job DOGGIE! Personally, I would have let the nanny go before setting up the video. Partly because it would have made me suspicious as to why a normally nice dog hates her, and partly because I'd be worried the dog would bite her while I was not there.

• 09/01/2015 09:42am

I was thinking the same thing when "Nannie Oakley" went on and on about herself like she was (poorly) doing a resume for a job. Forget that a cute little dog saved his Best Boy Forever from possible real harm.
    Now she is being Lil Nasty Oakley with this incredibly rude rude post. Wow.
    Who made this all about you Oakley? I bet you were a real treat to gave as a Nanny. Smh

• 10/14/2015 06:12am

You need a chill pill. Your post makes you sound as if you have had a very bad day and we get the aftermath.
    Or are you jealous of her education?
    Either way, you have a lot of anger brewing.

A good detective doesn't tell the robber about all the cameras in the room or even indicate there might be one. The nanny will just go far enough to the left or right so as to be out of the camera's focus to do her nastiness.

Ya need to be smarter than what or who you're trying to catch or ya ain't gonna catch nothin'.

Calm down so you can think straighter.

• 10/14/2015 08:50am

Funny. Clearly you are the one that needs to take a "chill pill", responding to a discussion that occurred a month and a half ago. Go get some friends and calm down. Oh, and you know nothing about me. Don't bother to respond. I didn't know I was still active at this site and have turned off all responses, etc. what a loser.

• 10/30/2015 11:54pm

lol you must be Alexis Khans close relative. The baby did something Alexis didn't like, so she told the kid to "$tfU you loser!!!!" So you read a post (nobody forces you to) you don't like and right away you get all full of jihad, telling others what they may and may not post here.

• 09/18/2015 01:54pm

You're right. Not everyone has proper childcare training. I wonder how new parents manage.

• 10/14/2015 05:22am

If they're smart, they'll take it slow and easy.

• 10/14/2015 06:23am

New parents may be nervous but they take their time and do a better job than a nanny because that baby is THEIRS! And they LOVE it.
    You should know by now: People are more caring of what they have than someone who comes in just for the hours to earn a few bucks.
    You're being snide.

• 12/15/2015 10:32pm

newsflash lots of us read to our children!and do all kinds of things with and for them, although I never really looked at it as "training" lol your coworkers must love you

• 08/29/2015 10:09am

That was Exactly what I was thinking.. This is about Your Children And your Other family Member,,, Your Pet...
    You Don't Need to be Patting Yourself on your back on this issue... Thank God that these parents Payed attention to what their dog Was actually Telling them Without words... Bless this doggy,,, and so Glad that the "Nanny" has to do Prison time.. Should be more in my book, but 1 to 3 is better than nothing...

• 09/24/2015 05:51pm

Exactly its not even about her or about background checks obviously the girl cleared the background check or they would not have hired her. I am just grateful that I was able to be a stay home mom I don't know what I would do if something like this happened to my child. Get a baby cam if you going to get a babysitter that you really don't know.

• 10/14/2015 05:13am

She's trying to get younger sitters to understand, it can be a fun job if it's something you like to do.

• 10/14/2015 06:13am

She's not.

• 10/14/2015 06:16am

She's not. Put your glasses on.

• 08/29/2015 09:14pm

I think that this babysitter should be a trainer of baby sitters.

I think that first, if you are not a 'baby lover" you should not be a baby sitter, to be really a good babysitter you need to love babies and older pre-school children

• 09/30/2015 06:27pm

NannieOakley,

I just had to jump in here to point out the obvious. If parents would be a bit more diligent about who is allowed into the home to care for their children, there would be no need to hail the dog as the hero. I am at a loss as to why your response explaining the crucial aspects of selecting a caregiver are lost on so many. I'm so glad this family had a dog with enough sense to know something the parents should have known from the screening process. Kudo's to the pup! The bottom line is not every pet is this intuitive and not every home has a pet this astute. A better and more relevant strategy is not for parents to rely on pets for protection in their absence, but to make sure the pet does not have to do the job of the parent. Your response outlines critical aspects in selecting the right caregiver so Fido can go back to being Fido!

• 10/03/2015 11:36am

No matter HOW DILIGENT a parent can be the fact remains ONCE the parent leaves their home to have a well trained nanny with great recommendations care for their infant/toddler or child doesn't mean that this can't happen!

Too many times we as trusting parents rely on the "appearance" of the nanny thinking HOW SWEET she is in OUR presence when in fact once the parent isn't home with no words to be spoken by the infant abuse can take place! Have to work after giving birth? Trust NO ONE so plant a nanny cam in every room tell the nanny you will be watching from your desktop computer to ensure that your baby is properly cared for because then & only then will the nanny BEHAVE, BABY BEHAVE!! Myself I would tell the nanny conc: the cameras why subject the infant to any abuse? Aloha, Mahi

• 10/03/2015 11:54am

You are LOST.

No amount of training, education or background screening replaces a C A M E R A come back to REALITY Annie Oakley without your "guns" = your words & T H I N K next time before posting Gar-BAGE. The world thanks you!

• 11/12/2015 02:03pm

As a parent, a child advocate and a forensic interviewer of children--for the safety of your family, please expand your scope of vision. This is an old post, but what I'm hearing here is concerning.

Although Oakley said it somewhat poorly, and with an air of self promotion, she does make a good point. Nannies and sitters need to genuinely like children and should be screened.

However, your comment implies the parents did a "half-assed" job of screening their nanny and should be good enough parents to not have to rely on the dog--that is just naïve. I have seen hundreds of children that have experienced abuse and the facts are--the smallest percentage are harmed by a stranger, a larger percentage than you would think don't come from broken homes and addict parents, and a shocking percentage are harmed by someone that would have never been suspected.

Protect your family--screen and interview, follow up on recommendations, but don't discount the dog's contribution either.

• 10/03/2015 11:51am

No amount of training nor a background check would help an infant IF the evil nanny starts abuse in a home without the parents there! All the education & background screening is great but in the real world won't you please join us Annie Oakley stop living in la la land so it doesn't M A T T E R. An infant cannot S P E A K so this story is NOT 'bout your prior history of being "The Nanny"! That said THIS post is 'bout a great dog named Kill Ian who saved an infant from harm so find another "Nanny Forum" please! Enjoy your memories on a different post k? Place cameras in EVERY room even for you Nanny Dearest! Kill Ian the dog not Mahi in Hawaii thanks you! Aloha as in Goodbye!

• 10/09/2015 02:42pm

Wow..... your a legend in your own mind!

In all that time working in childcare did you ever learn how to shut your pie hole?

• 10/30/2015 11:56pm

yawn, another Web jihadi speaks Wow are we ever impressed. You must be Alexis Khans close relative. The baby did something Alexis didn't like, so she told the kid to "$tfU you loser!!!!" So you read a post (nobody forces you to) you don't like and right away you get all full of jihad, telling others what they may and may not post here.

• 10/10/2015 12:33am

I find your experiences and cmments interesting and informative. Too many people have to entrust their children to those who should never be child minding.. I hope you will ignore the negative reaction of some to your posts. You can't please everyone, and your desire to share some knowledge and experience may seem like you're patting yourself on the back, but I think it's more that you're just trying to help more people understand this very important subject. Any parent would be lucky to have you as a child minder.

• 12/15/2015 10:04pm

Neither a degree nor a passing a background check a guarantee of anything in this world. Way to make this all about you and your perfection, maybe a little empathy for the parents is in order. The story was really about the dog being the hero, the baby was not really capable of telling mom and dad anything.Believe it or not there are thousands are people raising babies and doing a great job, without degrees.

• 12/23/2015 10:44am

Sorry, but degrees have nothing to do with a person being sadistic or abusive. You are either an abusive person or you aren't and no amount of school can change that.

There was a woman at my son's daycare/preschool who I walked in on as she picked my son up off the ground by his arm and carried him by that arm with his feet off the ground to a chair because she lost patience with him or something he did. I was in an uproar and contacted the administrator, the director, and the school board. She got in trouble and sent to "training". She had a degree. Last I knew she quit to be a nanny for some family. She will probably behave better with their kids because they are housing her. If she loses that job, she will lose her place to live. Good luck to them.

Point is, degrees mean nothing. Most of the women who work in day cares and preschools have a in child development but most of those women are also fat and lazy and resent the kid's energy because they don't want to have to get up and actually do anything. Just like teachers in school, the really good are few and far between. That's what makes them special.

P.S. Don't use blogs to talk yourself up or humble brag. You'll get called out every time.

• 01/28/2016 07:37am

i read the story and thought what a wonderful dog.then i read the comments.yes we have to do background checks on anyone who takes care of our children.and yes there are reliable teens.this story was about a wonderful dog and parents who saw a different behavior in the dog.but i have not read comments on this.i understand nanny opinion and background but she did rattle on about self too much.then everyone commented on her .THIS IS AN ANIMAL SITE NOT A SITE ABOUT YOURSELF.GOOD DOG AND TO THE PARENTS ALWAYS TRUST ANIMALS

• 04/04/2016 05:34am

"Training" is no guarantee of a good child care provider either. Honestly, I think parents should secretly record from the start of the job. But I think another problem is people who do the hiring want to pay the bare minimum and expect to get mary poppins from the deal. For example one couple that was trying to hire me wanted me to work full time in their home for minimum wage, not only caring for 3 young children (2 still in diapers) but also wanted me to cook 3 meals a day and do their housework to boot. Anyone so desperate to take that job isn't going to be the best quality worker ... I turned them down flat, lucky for them the woman they did end up hiring didn't abuse the children ... what she did is work for them for a few days and used the opportunity to steal from them.

• Our canine family members
    08/30/2015 02:30pm

People underestimate the power of our canine family members intelligence & devotion. It's stories like this that help us to comprehend the many ways we, through their love, are connected.

• 09/01/2015 09:45am

Yeah, after I read it I gave my big ol puppie a hug and kiss. I hope he will save me some day ..LOL.

• 10/03/2015 11:38am

Well spoken! Aloha, Mahi

• Just let the dog babysit
    09/01/2015 08:45pm

If the dog is so good just save money and let the dog babysit. The real hero is the iPhone

• 09/17/2015 02:36pm

The dog's behavior is what alerted the parents that something wasn't quite right. Great job puppy dog!! And the iphone was a wonderful idea with proof of the abuse. Let the dog babysit. What a stupid comment. Not even funny when your talking about a baby being abused. Shame on you!!

• Topper
    09/29/2015 09:32pm

About Nannie Oakley, her describing her experiences at baby sitting, and the negative comments that were directed at her.
    It makes me wonder why so many of the responders saw fit to spend your time trying to humiliate and embarrass Nannie by your critical remarks.If she does a good job and takes pride in her successs with children, Why is it so bad to be proud of how well she does it? Why couldn't you, just as easily have complimented her and lifted her up?
    To be so quick to hurt others who are strangers to you is far worse that being proud of the job they do. Nannie, I applaud you. negative callouse remarks comes from a negative calloused hearts, and a life like that is no fun. I was like that for 35 years, and didn't know how to change till God showed me. Now I major on love and have a happy heart as a result.try it. love is gentle, kind, lifts others up instead of tearing them down. No, I'm not bragging, cuz I didn't do it. I'm bragging on God. have a nice day.

• 10/03/2015 11:42am

The REASON for the negative comments is that THIS post is 'bout a dog alerting the infant's parents to the abuse taking place in their home! Get off your high horse & join Annie Oakley k? Wow, then to add INSULT to INJURY you go on & on...... See a THERAPIST to do your Rant & Raves & get back on your meds. to have a NICE day! Alo Ha! Gave me the BIGGEST laugh in Hawaii. Mahi

• 11/12/2015 03:23am

I suggest you take NannieOaklie's advice about reading more...you might learn how to write English.

The story was about a dog that saved an infant from a young and abusive nanny. So, NannieOaklie made the observation that many parents don't get proper background checks or references, which in her experience is important. How on earth can you say her comment is unrelated to the article?
    You saying nonsensical garbage like "Kill Ian the dog not Mahi in Hawaii thanks you" is what's unrelated! And why on earth would something so innocuous anger you so much? If you enjoy criticizing complete strangers, there are plenty of internet trolls out there who deserve it. Just leave the poor nanny alone.

• 10/03/2015 11:44am

P. S. You "were like THIS for 35 years" so you're saying WHAT? That you served HARD TIME for hurting babies?
    No comprende' so ahhh, ummm, like ahhh, GREAT!! God changed you but he still has a TON of WORK to do! Wow

• 11/12/2015 03:28am

Apparently msailuakona has decided what other people are allowed to think after reading articles. Sounds as though something along the lines of "me like doggies" was the only permissible comment here. If only I could get his articulate insights on every article I read. :)

• 12/15/2015 10:17pm

i felt she was berating the parents sometimes people can be deceiving. I am sure they were not thinking they were leaving their baby with a bad person, and most people don't imagine a young girl doing this and when the parents felt uneasy they reacted. In my opinion they did nothing wrong. Just because you can do an interview and pass a background check that means what?you have never been arrested, not a guarantee, people need to understand.She should have pride in work but no need to bash other people and print her resume.

• TellItLikeItIs
    10/03/2015 11:23am

KILL Ian is an infant's BFF so after just now reading I feel DELIGHTED the dog rescued Finn by displaying his aggressive behavior directed towards an infant (not even a child yet!) abuser! The name fits this great dog too bad he didn't sink his teeth into her before her arrest to show this evil woman who's the boss. A bit disappointed by the lenient sentence but still in AWE of a great dog a part of the family that alerted the infant's parents so I am grateful it didn't end up with Shaken Baby Syndrome. Or death. Parents hide those cameras capturing what's happening to your babies, toddlers & children in your home if you want as you can't trust someone even with great recommendations. No matter how thorough a background check is the fact remains not being there to protect an infant like in this case would not have helped if the bad nanny flew under the radar. That goes for training as well once you leave the house with a STRANGER watching your infant Voila' = WATCH OUT!! Nanny cams should be placed in EVERY room after telling the nanny you will be watching what takes place every second of the day with YOUR infant from work from your computer. Then SMILE :) 'cos trust no bitch! No way to sugarcoat that one. Sorree :) Great work KILL Iam! Next time take the cruel bot for a nanny out like the trash she is! SHAMEFUL But I love HAPPY ENDINGS!!

• TellItLikeItIs
    10/03/2015 11:26am

KILL Ian is an infant's BFF so after just now reading I feel DELIGHTED the dog rescued Finn by displaying his aggressive behavior directed towards an infant (not even a child yet!) abuser! The name fits this great dog too bad he didn't sink his teeth into her before her arrest to show this evil woman who's the boss. A bit disappointed by the lenient sentence but still in AWE of a great dog a part of the family that alerted the infant's parents so I am grateful it didn't end up with Shaken Baby Syndrome. Or death. Parents hide those cameras capturing what's happening to your babies, toddlers & children in your home if you want as you can't trust someone even with great recommendations. No matter how thorough a background check is the fact remains not being there to protect an infant like in this case would not have helped if the bad nanny flew under the radar. That goes for training as well once you leave the house with a STRANGER watching your infant Voila' = WATCH OUT!! Nanny cams should be placed in EVERY room after telling the nanny you will be watching what takes place every second of the day with YOUR infant from work from your computer. Then SMILE :) 'cos trust no bitch! No way to sugarcoat that one. Sorree :) Great work KILL Ian! Next time take the cruel bot for a nanny out like the trash she is! SHAMEFUL But I love HAPPY ENDINGS!!

• 10/03/2015 11:57am

Oops, my bad! Sorree :) it posted twice Annie Oakley! Maybe 2x is BETTER for you? Enjoy!

• Hisss Hisss
    10/14/2015 05:08am

Several have made negative comments about NannieOakley"s Post.
    A few have been down right nasty. Shame on you. That is not what this space is for. Take her words for what they're worth: experience.

Back ground checks are one thing, but REALLY knowing a person is another. A few sitters can look you in the eye and smile pretty, but when you're gone, they're the wicked witch of the west. Don't put that mistake on your back. Most people don't drop their fasod for at least 2 weeks. The 1st meeting is not the true test. Get educated on what to look for. If this is your 1st child, you have little or no experience to rely on. Learn to watch and "read" baby's reactions when the sitter arrives. Learn to check baby's body for signs of abuse. You should know your baby's likes and dislikes better than anybody. Listen to NannieOakley. She's not bragging. She's giving you examples of how parents select sitters. She's trying to show you what might happen and why. She IS educated and trying to share her knowledge with you. These posts should be used wisely to help yourself or another. If you came here to rant, then you should be visiting with a counselor

Thank God for the baby's animal friend. Not every dog will do that. Once in a while a cat will take on that job of protecting, but not as often. And, not all dogs are that caring. This family is lucky: The parents took the time to "read" the surrounding clues when they arrived home. They began putting "2 and 2" together. They cared enough to parent. They didn't warn the sitter about their plan, they just did it. If you let the sitter know what you're going to do, they'll make sure they're NOT being filmed. There are bound to be areas the camera can't catch.

Some readers were so busy tearing up this lady, they didn't catch the part where she mentions working with colors, shapes and the alphabet. AND, YES, you can start learning activities BEFORE the child is one. But their attention span is short and when they start looking for something else to do, you stop your activity and follow their lead. There are lots of things you can do with kids instead of just hanging out with them. Read to them. Let them "read" to you. Ask questions about what's going on in the picture. Go with the flow. They're kids and they need their space. You can do your thing while they nap. As they get older, you let them have "free" time. Start with 10 minutes. Work up to 15 or 20 min.

It's a learning time for both of you. Relax. Enjoy the moment. Each minute only comes once and then it's gone like the wind. Catch the fun while you can. You can always read a book while they nap.

• Society Today!
    10/21/2015 08:45am

How could someone do something like that to a baby? Just wish the family the best of luck finding trust enough to get a babysitter for the baby! I wouldn't trust anyone with my baby (if I had one) but my parents. Just so horrible that we have people that would do that to a child!! If I lived near their area, I would definitely help them out!

• Turn to Jesus
    10/27/2015 04:50pm

May she find that Jesus is all she needs to change and help others.

• 10/30/2015 11:06am

Wow!!! Amazing amounts of posts written by abusive humans in response to an article about abuse. Every person being attacked and ABUSED in this post should report the abusers.

• yawn
    10/30/2015 11:59pm

this isn't typical for dogs to behave this way; they want to be pals so badly, they desperately want to give the babysitter a good huff

• yawn
    10/31/2015 12:03am

• Really?
    11/11/2015 07:13pm

So let me get this right. Their dog seems to respond in a bad way to the baby sitter. They suspect the babysitter is being abusive. As parents they decide to leave their child with the possibly abusive babysitter again so they can catch her in action. The real hero here sounds like the child who had to take one for the team to catch a criminal.

• 11/17/2015 03:21pm

This is the first comment that has made any sense. What kind of parents will leave a helpless infant in the hands of someone they suspect of abusing said child? That last time could have been the end of their child. Instead a few slaps, crying, and mean comments they could have had the privilege of listening to their child being killed. What neglectful morons.

• 11/29/2015 11:44am

Everyone, CALM DOWN! NannieOakley was only posting an example of what she is to show how babysitters and parents should act. Why so much critisizim?!

• 12/05/2015 07:30pm

That's exactly what I was thinking-if they suspected, in ANY way, that this girl was abusing their Son; WHY, for gods sake, would they dare leave their precious child with her for another second??!! YES, I understand they wanted "proof"-but good grief, at THAT RISK??!!

Sorry-the ONLY way I would have done that would be if I were hiding RIGHT OUTSIDE-or somewhere in the house, so that I'd be there in seconds to rescue my child before something happened. OR-better yet, get law enforcement involved!! Most law enforcement would take seriously a dog reacting like that around a caregiver & child, and would probably set something up themselves.

Even with the hero doggy right there-it's just FAR too much of a risk.

As a former RN/Paramedic, survivor of childhood abuse, and Mom of 3 grown, incredible kids--Abuse has always been something I've spoken about and fought against. Just a few things:
    1. SCREEN, SCREEN, SCREEN if you have to find a stranger to watch your children. There are usually more than just 2 agencies in your State that you can check with-call your local law enforcement & they can advise you. (I.e.: Child & Family Services, Abuse Registry, Criminal Check, etc.)
    2. Ask for a MINIMUM of 3 References-of experience specifically with children!!
    3. Spend some time before you hire them, watching them with your child AND, if you have a pet, around your furry "children". Their behavior & attitude around your pet is often a good indicator of how they will be with your child. And obviously, our pets are often better judges of other people than we are!!
    4. AGE DOESN'T MATTER!! I've actually seen more cases of abuse, (and worse), committed by older adults than teenagers!! A GREAT place to find a sitter is your local hospital!! Most hospitals offer babysitting classes during the summer for teenagers-and many of those teens are also "candystripers"-or Teen Volunteers at that hospital. If your local hospital doesn't offer these classes, try the Red Cross. They usually offer babysitting classes as well as infant & child CPR & First Aid for local teens who want to babysit.

And PLEASE: if you KNOW that a relative has a history of abuse, substance abuse, or sexual abuse, (or even just acting inappropriately sexually); DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CHILD (OR your pet!!) with them!! It may seem silly to have to point that out, but I know from experience that we often want to think...and hope, that our relative has changed. And some DO recover from substance abuse. But if they have a history-or even just strong suspicions-of abuse in the past; it's not worth putting your child's physical and emotional health at risk...it COULD cost you their Life.

PEACE & BE SAFE!!

• 12/11/2015 10:50pm

omg! finally someone brings the real topic to the forum!! How could a parent leave their baby with someone they suspect of abuse?? Just fire the person because of fear and doubt and leave it at that. And seriously, if anyone is leaving their baby with a nanny just have camera and recorders in every room of the house without their knowledge and check them every day for the first couple of months. this will give you a true view of the caregiver.

• Babysitter
    12/02/2015 07:01pm

This is the babysitter:

I'm proud of the dog, but I feel a little bad for her reading this.

• 12/02/2015 07:02pm

not that that excuses her behavior. . .she's definitely in the wrong business.

• A healthy/happy sitter
    12/16/2015 04:20pm

Something I have noticed is that these problems seem to occur with the unhealthy/unhappy looking sitters, never with the healthy/outgoing looking sitters, it's just something I have noticed over the years. FYI

• human observer
    12/25/2015 12:13pm

I read most of the posts and have come away wondering how the posters who criticized the initial poster added to the story more than "Nannie.." did? It was rather obvious to me her comments added to the discussion far more than did those criticizing her.

Properly trained dogs can be a fine addition to a family. There was a Collie in my life that would guard our newborn constantly. He slept under the crib and would let no strange service person near the little one. He instinctively kept himself between the child and perceived danger. I miss him these decades later.

• The Dogs Know Best!
    03/04/2016 06:52pm

With all the negative comments here I feel the majority of folks are losing sight of exactly what the key issue is here. This dog is a true hero! Dogs are so sensitive, aware & keen. As far as the background check goes.....so what. They conducted a check on her but you can never tell what's truly in someones heart & soul.

• Why do both parents work?
    03/09/2016 05:07pm

The main problem in this story is that both parents are working outside of the home when they have one child at home. I think that it's outrageous that both parents would leave a 7 month old all day while they go to work outside the home. Big mistake!