Abused Pit Bull Saved by Heartbreaking Craigslist Ad

By Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell    October 07, 2013 at 02:38PM / (19) comments

When a broken and beaten dog thought to have been used in a fighting operation for bait and breeding wandered up to a home in Nashville, Tennessee, it may have been the best move for her and for other dogs caught up in senseless acts of abuse.

The dog, dubbed “Mama Jade,” became an instant viral hit when her rescuer, Christianna Willis, 23, put on a fight of her own.

She wrote an open letter on Craigslist to the monsters who abused this poor dog entitled: “Your Pitbull Found Me and I Won’t Give Her Back.”

The letter begins:

“Last Friday night, your dog wandered up onto our porch. Signs of the abuse she had somehow escaped riddled her body. The fresh bite marks on her muzzle, the scars that covered her body, the exposed pink and purple flesh around her neck, where she was obviously tied up with ropes that cut their way into her skin, over and over again. The obvious signs that she had been bred, relentlessly, time after time. The pressure wounds on her elbows that bled whenever they touched anything, from being tied and forced to lay on cement ground and metal cage mesh. None of those things are even the worst part. Upon examining her teeth to gauge her approximate age, I burst into tears. I found that you had pulled the majority of them out and the ones you left had been filed down.”

Filing and pulling teeth is a common method for keeping bait dogs from biting back at fighting dogs while they’re being trained.

After a sleepless first night with Mama Jade, who didn’t take her eyes off of her rescuer, Willis took her to the veterinary clinic where she works. There she discovered that the collar Mama Jade was wearing was cutting into her neck, and worse, the poor dog is suffering from breast cancer.

Her letter continues:

“Mama lets you get right up in her face. In fact, she LOVES it. She'll give you slobbery kisses and nuzzle your face with love. We're all amazed at how trusting of humans she is. Dogs, however, completely terrify her. It doesn't matter the size, she growls in fear and tucks her tail between her legs. But who can blame her? After what you did to her? Tomorrow, Mama will finally feel peace. And when she closes her eyes and takes her last breath, I'll be there. I'll hold her big ‘ol head and I'll tell her how much I love her.”

Mama Jade’s story touched the hearts of tens of thousands on social media. Within 24 hours, thousands of people responded to the ad, offering to help pay for Mama Jade’s treatments if she could be saved.

Willis set up a Mama Jade Facebook page and wrote, “The response has been overwhelming and has restored a lot of my faith in humanity. Many people and charities have asked if they could donate funds for Mama to get the treatment for her cancer. Tonight I'll do my best to review as many of the emails as possible and I'll make a decision on what the best route to take will be. One thing is for certain though, Mama Jade is getting yet another chance at life.”

NewsChannel5.com in Nashville was one of the first to interview Christianna Willis. "That night I was just sitting in my room thinking about her because I was so angry," Willis told reporters of her heartfelt message.

A rescue, Big Fluffy Dogs, has offered to help with Mama Jade’s medical care, or, if her cancer is too advanced, hospice care, so that she may live her out her days knowing love and peace.

Willis also said in her Craigslist letter that she hopes the perpetrators who did these awful things to Mama Jade are caught and that she is planning to use Mama Jade's horrific experience to help educate children and others about the horrors of dogfighting.

Since Mama Jade’s Facebook page has reached more than 124,000 “likes” in the five days since it was created, we’re sure it’s a safe bet that Mama Jade’s message will be widely received.

Editor's Note: Image from Mama Jade's Facebook page

Abused Pit Bull Saved by Heartbreaking Craigslist Ad originally appeared on Pet360.com

Do you think Mama Jade’s story will make a good one to teach about the horrors of dog fighting? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

• bless you and moma jada
    10/10/2013 06:50am

so happy to have read a good story craiglist is a very hard place for me to go all i see is back yard breeder selling pets very heart breaking but thanks to this story it feels good to know there is lots of good people. moma jade is a beauty and her rescuer is awesome.

• 01/07/2014 11:13am

I'm sorry but I don't know how you guys can say this woman is an angle when she put down a dog that needed to be shown love! There was no reason this beautiful dog should have been put down!! I have delt with dogs a lot worse than this one and they are now living a very full and happy life!!

• 01/08/2014 10:27am

Jade was not put down. The story reads that people showed support to help get the help she needed to survive.

• 01/08/2014 11:58am

Mama wasn't put down. She;s now cancer free, gaining weight and living with a foster in Nashville. And loving treats and blankies.

• 02/12/2014 01:05pm

Thank you kaetrace for the update. I am so glad that Mama Jade is alive, cancer free and receiving the love and freedom she so deserves in this life!

• 02/18/2014 07:06pm

You should probably re read this article then go look at the mama jade Facebook page. This woman is an angel, the only reason she even was going to have to put mama down is because she needed very expensive medical care, not just...love, But being that she and mama jade got so many good responses and people offering money, she didn't have too. Mama is better than ever and has a forever home that keeps christianna updated.

• Love vs Cancer
    10/15/2013 09:38am

I am glad that Willis is considering letting Mama live out the rest of her natural life in hospice care if she can't be treated. My previous dog was a Champion Harlequin Great Dane who'd been bred until she was used up and then put into rescue. They thought she had mastitis but it turned out to be breast cancer, and the surgery was not very successful. The vet told me it had metastasized and she might have 2-3 months to live. It was a hard recovery, but she healed, and lived two and a half years before finally succumbing. The vet was shocked every time I brought her by for a visit. She was happy and in what appeared to be good health for over two years, but started getting weaker in the third year and finally told me she was ready to go. Those two and a half years with Topaz were a gift and I am so glad I didn't decide to put her to sleep when the vet gave me that bad prognosis. Love is the best medicine.

• 11/09/2013 02:47pm

I adopted a Chihuahua female who had also been used for breeding and then dumped along a roadside. The shelter manager told me that if I didn't take her, they would immediately take her back and euthanize her. She had a sizable tumor that nobody would want to deal with. We tried two surgeries, but the cancer progressed. In spite of that, she was not uncomfortable. She was a constant lap buddy, making up for all the time she had been ignored for all but the most minimal care. Eventually the cancer spread and the day came when she let me know she was uncomfortable and tired. I held her as she slipped from this life, telling her she was a "good girl" and how glad I was she had shared herself with me. We didn't have a long time together, but knowing that she got to leave this world knowing some time of love and security was one of the most gratifying things I have ever done.

• 12/26/2013 06:53pm

You are an angel!!!!

• 02/19/2014 01:22am

We had to make that decision when our Jack Russell got cancer. It was fast growing and the surgery we had done, did not help - we thought we had 4 to 5 months but it was only 6 weeks. The cancer was cutting off the circulation to his leg. On a Sunday night, his leg started swelling and we took him to the animal hospital where his doctors worked (one had been there all day doing surgeries). The veterinarian examined him but we pretty much knew the answer before he told us - it would only get worse. He was in pain already so we couldn't let him suffer more. We got him from a parking lot when he was a little puppy. No one claimed him but we were in love with him so that was fine with us. We had him 9 1/2 years. He was funny, smart and beautiful! It was still hard to make that decision - the only thing that helps is that we didn't let him suffer for days. When I leave this world, if I leave it like our Sandy with 2 people crying and holding me, telling me I'm good and they'll miss me and always love me, with a doctor gently crying, then I've done okay in this life. It'll be 2 years on the 26th of this month and we miss him like it was yesterday.

• Be Responsible
    10/15/2013 12:37pm

If you have any animals, get them spayed or nuetered.
    I wish more people were responsible pet owners. If they get their animals "fixed" there won't be anymore free animals to a good home for the abusers to get animals from. I pray that Mama Jade lives out the rest of her life in the loving family she seeked out to help her. I also pray that every animal the abusers that had Mama Jade have get rescued from that place before they have to suffer anymore as well. God Bless you Christianna for taking her in and getting the care and comfort Mama Jade should of had from the beginning of her life.

• Why, Why, Why
    10/15/2013 06:13pm

Why, Why, Why are people so cruel? Why are there dogfights allowed? Why are there Puppy Mills, Why are their illegal breeders who don't give a heck about anything except for the profit? WHY ISN'T THERE LEGISLATION IN ALL STATES (US) AND PROVINCES (CANADA) AND ALL COUNTRIES to seek out these people and prosecute them the way they deserve. I'm not talking about a slap on the wrist either. After reading this story, I AM angry, and I wish I could spend 30 seconds to do to them what they have done to animals who didn't choose to have that kind of life. A life of torture (if you can call it that) should never be allowed. Not even to our pets. I have 9 cats at home, consisting of 2 rescues, 1 ex-feral Momma, and 3 of her kittens, and 2 of my own, aged 11 & blind, and 13 and healthy.
    I have little houses set out for the abandoned, feral, and abused & I make sure they are fed daily. No I'm not wealthy, but I CARE about those little guys because some idiot dumped them out on the street because they aren't babies anymore, or they had a health problem, or whatever. We have a dog as well who is 10 years old, and each and every one of our pets give us more love than we could ever wish for. Our ferals and strays are cared for as if they are our own, and they love us. This is the way our world should be, but that seems to be an impossible dream. The only thing we can do as responsible pet owners is to love and care those who come into our lives and give us their love unconditionally and in future, their trust. I truly hope that Jade gets the proper treatment she needs, and I pray for her every night. No animal deserves that kind of treatment. That's not what God made them for. May God Bless You & and what you are doing for Jade. You are an Angel on this earth & we certainly need more of those. I pray that Jade will be with you for a very long time. And I hope those who are responsible for what was done to her will pay dearly.

• 10/15/2013 09:51pm

Because people, being people, are very inhumane when it comes right down to it. Anything that benefits a PERSON, whether it be fighting dogs, taking farm land to build houses close together and sell for a huge profit regardless of the stress it puts on the ecosystem, environment and community, discovering a new tribe previously untouched and introducing things to it they never had before all for the benefit of research, is all inclusive. People do NOT care at all as long as they get benefited from it. There are SOME, and we are the minority, who DO care and will put ourselves out there to help an animal previously abused, neglected and traumatized by the very species that, supposedly SUPERIOR, did the damage. We are the only species out there that will kill our own as well as any other species if we feel it benefits us. Superior? No. We are more animal than the 4 legged ones we are supposedly caring for. They come to us for protection, and we turn around and abuse, neglect, injure and even kill them for sport and benefit or out of anger. I've followed Mama Jade's story from the start. I'm just glad she ended up on the one porch that didn't kick at her, shoot her, throw things at her, or call the cops on her cause she definitely would have ended up dead then. When it comes to Pits, it's usually the 2 legged monster at the other end of the leash.

• RE: Why, Why, Why
    10/15/2013 06:19pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention #9 kitty. He was the 1st runt of 2, and was being hand fed by his owner. He grew quickly, but runt 2, was still being hand fed, and our neighbour couldn't handle both at the same time, so rather than send him (Sebastien) to the SPCA, he was offered to us, 4 years ago. He is still with us and quite a hugger.

• prayers for Mama Jade
    10/19/2013 11:43am

I AM SO GLAD YOU RESUED THIS DOG SHE CAME TO THE RIGHT HOME DIDN'T SHE! IT MAKES ME SICK WHEN PEOPLE FIGHT AND ABUSE DOGS THIS HAPPENS MORE THAN WE WOULD LIKE TO THINK. I HAVE AN AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER MIX AND I HATE WHEN CERTAIN KINDS OF PEOPLE COME UP TO ME ASKING IF THEY CAN BUY HER FROM ME I KNOW WHAT THEIR INTENT WOULD BE.SHE IS THE SWEETEST DOG I HAVE EVER HAD BUT SHE IS VERY PROTECTIVE OF HER FAMILY. I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR MAMA JADE AND WILL BE PRAYING FOR HER HEALTH. I AM GLAD THAT NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME IS FOR HER THAT SHE NOW KNOWS WHAT IT IS TO BE LOVED AND CARED FOR AND WHATEVER TIME SHE HAS LEFT WILL BE FILLED WITH LOVE AND PEACE. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THE WORLD CHRISTIANNA BY THE WAY MY NAME IS CHRISTIANA TOO JUST SPELLED DIFFERENTLY. GOOD LUCK!

• why
    12/11/2013 08:49pm

what did dogs ever do to people to be treated like that its inhumane its horrible, i hope mama jade lives and they find her abusers and lock there asses up for life if thhey do that to animals i cant imagine what they would do to children.

• Adoption takes many faces
    12/20/2013 01:50pm

People often think that they adopt an animal but many times the animal often choose them. This puppy chose the correct house to find shelter. Bless this puppy and the wonderful woman that took her in.

One of my animals adopted me, it's been 17 wonderful years.

12/31/2013 12:56pm

Thank You Christianna for caring enough to take this gentle soul into your Life and Home. The world needs more people like you in it.

This world is Hell on Earth for most animals and stories like this make me so angry. Innocence abused and tortured. I will never understand the minds of people who can do this to animals. They should be removed from the gene pool...

• My Viola!
    02/19/2014 01:11pm

I also have the awesome pleasure to own a rescued pit bull who had a very similar background, yes her teeth are filed down and many were pulled, yet she is the most trusting loving dog....she gets along great with my other dogs and loves my cats.

I foster kittens and adopt them out and Viola treats every one of them like they are hers, she grooms them and is very protective of them.

So amazing how much love she can give when she was so abused!