What Would You Do if You Saw a Dog Tied to a Pole on a Freezing Cold Night?

By Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell    February 24, 2014 at 04:21PM / (40) comments

A resident in Lincoln County, Missouri, didn’t think she was breaking the law when she attempted to find a warm place for a dog she found tied to a pole in frigid temperatures.

Jessica Dudding was driving with her family in Lincoln County, looking at Christmas lights on the night of December 27th, when she saw a yellow Labrador retriever tied to a pole in a vacant lot in her neighborhood.

“It was very cold that night and I just couldn’t leave him there,” Dudding told Pet360. The dog was already so cold that one of her boys took his coat off and put it around the canine as they waited for police.

After a Lincoln County Sheriff’s Deputy told her the county had no shelter, he helped her load the dog into her van so she could try the shelter in neighboring Wentzville.

“I couldn’t take him home as I have two other dogs and small children. Although the dog was acting friendly there, we have a small place and I just can’t risk taking a strange dog home around my dogs and kids.”

When she got to the Wentzville police station, she told the officer her story and he took a copy of her driver’s license and contact information. Dudding said she had no idea they were making an actual police report on the stray.

“I told them I found the dog close to Highway 61, which could have been in Wentzville,” Dudding explained.

Dudding understood she was telling a fib by virtue of omission. What she didn’t understand was that the police were taking a report. Filing a false police report is a misdemeanor, of which she was later charged.

A few days later, after posting a photo of the dog on Facebook, someone told her about some “Missing Dog” posters that matched the photo of the dog Dudding found.

She contacted the owners and they went to retrieve their beloved lost dog in Wentzville. The dog had run away from home and gotten lost when the battery on his electronic collar failed.

When the dog’s owner, Bryan Campbell, went to pick up his dog, named Diesel, the Wentzville police told him he owed $250 in boarding fees and a fine for allowing his dog to run loose within the city limits. Campbell said he had no idea who or why someone would tie Diesel to the pole.

The Campbell family called Dudding and begged her to tell the police where she actually found the dog so they could avoid the fine, which was on top of the boarding fees they already paid.

When she did, the Wentzville Police Department charged her with filing a false report. “She reported to us that this happened, and you don’t get to lie to the police,” Wentzville Police Major Paul West told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Douglas Smith, the Wentzville District Attorney, did not return Pet360’s call for a comment on this story.

Dudding said she was shocked that the police department would pursue the matter, but pursue it they did. Dudding had to get an attorney and initially said she would fight the charge, but the working mother of three said that she could not afford to lose time at work or pay a fine.

Dudding pled no contest. Bryan Campbell paid her $24 in court costs and said he felt partially responsible because his dog wasn’t wearing any tags and wasn’t microchipped, a situation he has since changed. “She’s in trouble for helping my dog so I have to have her back on this,” Campbell told the Post-Dispatch.

The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department said the situation highlights the need for the county to manage its own animal shelter. It is a problem faced by many rural counties and towns.

Dudding told Pet360 she understands people can’t lie to the police and she is glad Diesel is home and safe, but said she is bitter over the situation. “I partly wonder if I should not have just let the Lincoln County deputy deal with the issue after I called them,” Dudding said.

When asked if she would go through this all again, she said she doesn’t know. “I am not sure what I would do if I ever came across another dog tied to a pole. I have a heart and conscience. I would have to make that decision when the time came,” Dudding said. “I cannot take in any animals, but yet I am not sure that I could just walk away.”

Editor’s Note: Photo of Diesel tied to a pole provided by Jessica Dudding.

What do you think, should she have been charged for lying to the police? What would you have done?

Article originally appeared on Pet360.com

• Some people deserve a goo
    02/25/2014 06:30pm

I would do exactly what my sister did ... take the dog home. If that didn't work for me I'd make sure, by going to this wonderful park, that he/she would find a great home.

When my sister rescued, the dog was not tied to a pole, he was left in the backyard in a cage way too small for a GSD. This went on for almost a year, in all kinds of weather. She went up to the door, banged real hard, told the people they were a$$#oles, didn't deserve any animals, and she was taking the dog - try and stop her. He must have known he was being rescued, he went into the car no trouble. He had the best home for over 10 years.

I think I might have punched them out, too. People like that don't even deserve cockroaches.

• 10/24/2015 08:25am

Your totally wrong here, KW! They DESERVE those COCKROACHES!!!

• 11/11/2015 02:57pm

It was said as in - these a-holes should not have ANY living thing near them :)
    Maybe some really nasty flesh-eating virus would do the trick!

• 11/11/2015 11:15am

Just hit them with a Taser and drag them outside and chai them to a post and gag them and let them see how it feels. but first remove their clothes by using a box cutter and leaving them there.

• 11/11/2015 02:59pm

Works for me!

• we need more Jessicas ...
    02/25/2014 06:48pm

If Diesel's people didn't know where he was, someone else mostlikely tied the dog where someone could spot it - not a very smart thing to do on a frigid night. I think Dudding should have let the Deputy deal with the dog, because this was a dangerous place for any animal - no way to shelter.

BUT at least she cared enough to help Diesel out of his tough spot. I think the police should have cut her some slack - we need people who care, and get involved, especially in possible child or dog/cat/etc abuse. Diesel could have died out there.

Thank you, Jessica, for doing the (almost) right thing :)

• 02/05/2016 05:48am

What about contacting Animal Control and asking [b]them[/b] what should be done with the dog?

• 02/05/2016 04:50pm

That's also an option. But over my years, what contact I've had with any Animal Control official doesn't give me much hope that things may get done in a timely manner. Maybe this woman shouldn't have lied, but her heart is in the right place. And she saved that dog, for sure.

• strawberry fiend forever
    02/27/2014 03:12pm

Of course she should be prosicuted. Read the bible! Every time you tell a lie baby jesus cries. She told a lie! She has to go to the jail or else gods goin send another tornado or some other type of national disaster. Did u know that the biggest earthquake ever was in massuri state? It was to punish the country for the masurri compromise. Bottom line: DON'T LIE!

• 05/20/2014 04:10pm

What a bunch of horsesh*t... please park your holier-than-thee attitude at the door when you enter here. While I agree with your "don't lie" mandate, it's not because of some childish morality like "Jesus cries." Jesus had plenty of other things to worry about during his abbreviated life. I don't lie for more practical reasons... it's hard to remember who you've lied to and about what. It usually winds up coming back to you and biting you in the azz, as it did for this woman. I also agree with her amazement that the DA would prosecute such a small matter. I'm not even real sure why what she told the police constituted lying? Must have been a slow year or he's running for re-election and need something to prove he was doing his job. I'm curious though... after her no contest plea, was she not fined or penalized in some other way except her court costs? If she was, it seems like the dog's owner should have paid that too.

What would I do? I'd take the dog home with me and post ads like she did. I have four cats who would NOT understand where this big blond oaf came from, but I have a garage where he could be made warm and comfortable and a big fenced-in yard for him to play in. I wouldn't have gotten the police involved, nor our local animal shelter which has too high a kill rate, so there's no way in hell I'd abandon him to them. If I couldn't find the dog's owner after a reasonable time, I'd find him a home on my own.

• 05/06/2015 09:08am

I hope your comment was a joke. If not, spellcheck is in your future! Actually, just buy a dictionary. Anyway, we are talking about the state that has the largest amount of puppy mills in the U.S. They need a lot of laws changed for the better. It would be nice if the population could figure out something to do beside torturing dogs. I guess I can believe that law enforcement wasted their time on this situation of someone trying to do the right thing. They have probably never experienced that.
    I apologize for offending most of Missouri's population.

• 05/06/2015 09:10am

My comment was in response to strawberry fiend.

• 08/22/2015 02:18pm

I am glad that my God does not judge people like you do. This lady helped one of God's creatures and we are told to take care of God's creation. She made a mistake, one that didn't hurt anyone and God does forgive without judging the earth in a manner like you described. How sad that you portray God to be this kind of God.

• 10/25/2015 03:43pm

God loves those who love. This lady has nothing to regret - at all. May God continue to bless and keep her among us. Catherine Shelton in Houston,Texas

• 01/11/2016 06:08pm

Agreed! Intention is EVERYTHING. The Higher Power knows what's in everyone's heart, and judges accordingly. Just my view on things - I'm not an expert.
    There are the Laws of Man, and the Laws of the Universe. And the Universal Laws say to have compassion and love.

• 01/11/2016 06:09pm

This is a reply to katartist, and any other loving person.

• 08/26/2015 12:02pm

Wow Strawberry fiend... just WOW... good Christian soul you have there...

• 10/21/2015 04:46pm

Please tell me this is a joke. Please, oh please. Historical fact: The largest earthquake in US history was in Missouri (m-i-s-s-o-u-r-i), but the Missouri compromise was nearly 30 years AFTER the earthquake. After. A-F-T-E-R. Lying to defraud is wrong. And a lot of grief could have been saved had this woman not lied, but she was not lying to defraud. Baby Jesus cries???III??? Um, Please tell me this is a joke. Even atheists know that baby Jesus grew to be man Jesus and if he keeps going back to being a baby, then, dudette, that [i][u][b]is [/b][/u][/i]weird.

• 01/11/2016 04:04am

Very nice comeback to an obviously deranged and illiterate person. :)

• 10/23/2015 06:20pm

wow. you are really an odd person. your comment is very weird and childish. Being a religious person myself I am shocked by your comment to say the least!

• 01/11/2016 04:01am

Oh please, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read! You do realize the Bible is a bunch of stories written down 100 years AFTER Jesus' death. I believe in God, but the Bible is similar to those books entitled "for dummies".

Finally, can you read? You certainly cannot spell. Missouri and prosecution as two examples.

• 09/04/2016 07:55pm

Or, maybe God made sure that she went by the dog so she could rescue it. God watches over animals as well as people. "God sees the little sparrow fall...."
    Jesus is not a baby anymore, he grew up, ministered and taught, died for our sins rose up and returned to heaven.
    Somehow I don't think He shed a tear over that little lie. Acts of compassion are more important than the little lie she told. And, no, she shouldn't have been prosecuted.

• omission not necessary
    04/04/2014 11:15am

What she did for the dog was commendable. She told the sheriff everything why not the police. I don't understand why she lied by omission.

• I'll tell you what I'd do
    07/10/2015 12:19pm

I'd put the dog in my car so it can get warmed up, then go knock on the owner's door and when they answer, just start beating the crap out of them. Then chain them up outside.

• 10/24/2015 09:13am

I CAN IMAGINE THIS SCENARIO OCCURRING ON TV, BUT IN REAL LIFE??? BETTER BE MORE CAREFUL WITH YOUR ACTIONS THAN YOU ARE WITH YOUR WORDS... THAT LESS THAN STELLAR DOG OWNER MAY CHOOSE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES AND THEIR PROPERTY... IF THEY TREAT THEIR DOG IN THIS FASHION THINK OF HOW THEY MAY ***LEGALLY*** DEFEND THEMSELVES FROM YOUR CRIMINAL ATTACK!!! YOU AND THE DOG ARE DEAD, OR MAYBE IT'S JUST YOU WHO ARE DEAD AND THE DOG STAYS HOME WITH IT'S BOZO OWNER...

• 01/11/2016 04:07am

Dogs get away from good owners too. Not every stray animal is neglected. It is likely someone found the dog and tied him there, so someone could find him. Violence is not the answer here.

• 02/05/2016 05:51am

Start beating/hitting the crap out of that dog's owner(s)?!? Really?!? You'd be in for a greater hassle than you originally bargained for if/when you got hauled into court for assault! I'd be careful if I were you!

• "Probably Saved The Dog"
    07/27/2015 02:05pm

She should not have lied to the police, however I don't think she should have been charged. I would have taken the dog home, warmed it up and gave it food and water until the owner came forward.

• 10/24/2015 08:53am

SO YOU WOULD HAVE TAKEN THIS DOG INTO YOUR HOME WITH SMALL CHILDREN AT THE DROP OF A HAT WITHOUT CONCERN FOR OR ABOUT THEM??? I FIND THAT ILLOGICAL THINKING ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE AND TANTAMOUNT TO CRIMINAL CHILD ENDANGERMENT!!!! AS MUCH AS WE ALL LOVE AND RESPECT OUR PETS AND ANIMALS, WE ARE DUTY BOUND TO PROTECT THE ONES UNDER OUR CARE, (PETS AND KIDS), FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!

I, PERSONALLY, WOULD OF DONE EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO PROTECT THIS CREATURE FROM THE ELEMENTS AND IT'S OWNER TO INCLUDE LYING TO SAVE IT'S LIFE!!! THERE IS ONLY ONE JUDGE I FEAR AND IT ISN'T A S/HE OF THIS DISMAL WORLD!!!

MY CHILD IS MY IS MY BOND WITH THE CREATOR AND WOE UNTO ALL WHO TEST THIS BOND WITHOUT DUE CAUSE

• 02/05/2016 05:55am

Good point, Buford. Lying to the police was a mistake on Duddington's part, but taking a strange dog home is rather risky, especially if there are small children and/or other pets around the house.

• In trouble for lying
    08/30/2015 02:31pm

She's not in trouble for helping the dog, she's in trouble for lying to police. She was given an outrageous fine, so what's the big deal? It would have been better for her to just call animal control in the first place and let them handle it. That's their job, and we all pay taxes for them to do that job.

• 08/30/2015 02:35pm

Oh...and please don't tell me that because there's no shelter in this county, there's no animal control. I've spent most of my life in rural areas. There's ALWAYS animal control, not just for pets but for injured or rabid wildlife. If she'd called the sheriff, they would have collected the dog and taken it to whatever shelter they had a deal with.

• COPS ~ THUMBS DOWN
    10/13/2015 11:55am

Guess cops got no compassion for a person doing a good deed. As for lying, cops lie too.

• 10/24/2015 09:00am

YOU COULDN'T BE MORE CORRECT, HERE!!!

THE WORLD OF POSITIVE FORCES SAVE A LIVING CREATURE, (A DOG), WHILE THE WORLD OF NEGATIVE FORCES CAUSE MORE HARM...

• food for thought
    10/25/2015 03:26pm

Did anyone ponder that the owner should have taken all responsibility for the loss of the pet and therefore all costs associated with retrieval of the pet? Had the owner done so and not called the founder and pleaded with her in order to save himself some money, then the founder would have not been in this situation. Yes, she lied and therefore broke the law. Bless her good heart for twice being a compassionate human being in this situation. SHAME to the owner for asking her to go back to the police just so that he could save money. If I was the owner, I would have been so glad to get my pet back that I would have paid all the costs.

• A Golden Crown in Heaven
    10/25/2015 03:41pm

Ms. Dudding deserves a golden crown in Heaven, wherever it may be. When she stands before our Maker she will surely be blessed for her kind soul. And that Doggie blesses her too.

• Saving a Freezing Dog
    10/30/2015 02:48am

I would have done the same thing that Jessica Dudding did but I would have told the cops exactly where I found the dog. I would have made it clear that I don't accept any excuse for leaving an innocent animal out in the freezing cold. Shame on the owner, they should have known better.

• Save the animals
    11/05/2015 12:56pm

Not only would I have helped the dog by taking it home, I wouldn't bother bringing the police into it. They did not have to pursue the fact that she lied by omission, they were just being stupid. You cant lie to the police? Yet they lie to us all the time, but nooo that's okay. No, it isn't. The moral of this comment is to help the animals, and don't bother bringing the enforcers into it. Post your own 'Animal Found' posters, and/or go onto social media.

• Wondering
    12/21/2015 10:33am

Or, she could have not lied to the cops.

How could she afford an attorney if she "couldn't afford" a $24 fine?

There's obviously more to this story.....

• The Dog
    12/31/2015 07:02pm

I have nowhere to put a dog and for other various reasons such as allergies and feas, I would not have taken the dog home with me. I would have simply call animal control or the police to handle the situation. I'm not an animal lover, but I do not like seeing them mistreated and abused. Which is why I would have notified the authorities.