Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.


Jr. Texas Taffy Pet Treats Recalled Due to Potential Salmonella Exposure

ADVERTISEMENT
By Victoria Heuer    February 01, 2011 at 11:57AM / (0) comments

A public recall has been issued for Jr. Texas Taffy pet treats due to concerns that some of the ingestible treats have been exposed to the Salmonella bacterium. This recall is in effect throughout the U.S. The products recall includes all lots up to and including 10364, and item number 27077, UPC code 02280827077.

At this date, no injuries or illnesses have been reported in relation to this recall. Merrick Pet Care, Inc. is taking the recall initiative in the hopes of preventing health emergencies for users of this product.

While Salmonella is generally not a life threatening infection, the symptoms that result from Salmonella poisoning can conceivably lead to  severe complications. Minor symptoms of Salmonella poisoning in humans include nausea and abdominal cramps; severe symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea and fever. In some rare instances, Salmonella poisoning can lead to endocarditis, arthritis, arterial infection, muscle pain, eye pain, and urinary tract involvement.

In animals, symptoms of Salmonella poisoning may manifest as lethargy and loss of appetite, with more severe symptoms of diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and abdominal pain. In addition it is important to note that this is a communicable infection and infected animals will need to be isolated from other animals and humans.

Humans can become poisoned when they have handled products that are contaminated with the Salmonella bacterium. Animals become infected when they ingest contaminated foods or come into contact with other infected mammals (including humans).

If you or your pet have recently come into contact with this product and you have noticed symptoms of possible poisoning, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately.

If you have purchased this product and have unused portions remaining, you are advised to dispose of this product safely in an enclosed trash container, or return them to the point of purchase for a full refund.

For additional information, call 1-800-664-7387 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., CST.

 

Comments  0

Leave Comment


  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»
 
MORE FROM PETMD.COM