Diamond Pet Foods, Manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, Issues Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food

By Vladimir Negron    May 05, 2012 at 12:01PM / (23) comments

Diamond Pet Foods, manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, has issued a voluntary recall of limited batches of their dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011, and April 7, 2012 due to Salmonella concerns.

Customers who have purchased Taste of the Wild Pet Food are advised to check the production codes and best-before dates on the back of the pet food bags. Any production codes that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 10th or 11th position in the production code and which have a best-before date between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013 are affected by this pet food recall.

According to a letter obtained by Diamond Pet Foods, none of the products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella. The company, however, is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies.

Affected products were distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Caroline, Tennessee and Virginia, as well as in Canada. However, further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.

Pets with salmonella may display a decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, contact your veterinarian.

People infected with Salmonella should watch for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever. Diamond Pet Foods is working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), which has received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at (866) 918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 A.M. – 6 P.M. EST. Consumers may also go to diamondpetrecall.com for more information.

• LIVID!
    05/07/2012 09:11pm

As a pet owner and owner of a pet concierge service, I am explicitly LIVID at the news that Taste of the Wild is on recall over Salmonella . I have recommended TOTW to countless clients over the years only to learn that DIAMOND was the manufacturer of the product. Are you serious? Not only will I be switching foods for my 3 dogs but I will have to recommend a switch to ALL of my client base. Such a shame. Time to research a new brand. Maybe back to Timberwolf!

• 05/13/2012 09:14pm

I am so angry about this. I thought I had finally found a food I could trust that my dogs loved and their hair and skin was the best it has ever been.. Now I have two 15 lb bags of food sitting here that I cannot use. I have 8 lb poms so that is alot of food. I called Diamond Pet and all they will do is tell me to fill out some form on line and send it in and in 6-8 weeks I may get a coupon for free bags of food. That is not acceptable at all. I obviously have to look for another food to feed my animal. If they have made a mistake they are surely not being very helpful with making this right. I am very disappointed in this company who I have recommended to others.

• Responsible Behavior
    05/07/2012 09:32pm

It says that none of the products have tested positive for salmonella. This is a voluntary recall just for safety's sake. It is going to cost Diamond millions. This increases my trust of Diamond products rather than decreasing it.

• 05/08/2012 11:44am

When I called them about all three of my dogs who were vomiting and had diarrhea after being on the food, they said that it was because of the higher protein and just to mix it with my old food. The dogs still got sick. I don't call this RESPONSIBLE! I had to call my vet to find out what to do for them. They told me to STOP feeding that food because it was probably contaminated and to feed them nothing but cooked chicken and rice for a week. So not only did I have a wasted bag of EXPENSIVE dog food, I had to buy expensive chicken to feed my dogs fresh food for a week! I am back on the old food and will never again put them on anything made by Diamond!

• 05/13/2012 04:35pm

Maybe you should do a little more research. Taste of the Wild is made in a South Carolina plant. This same plant had a recall around 2000 for Aflatoxin contaminated dog food. It killed around 24 dogs. They recalled that food too.

The claim is that the plant did not even bother to test incoming raw materials as per procedure. Do you actually believe they will never do this again, subvert procedures? I already made my point because it has happened again.

Does this recall include bringing one's dog back to life? Commonsense dictates to make a product, particularly food, safe and effective as intended the first time. I feel sorry for your pets.

Sean

• 05/13/2012 05:00pm

Don't feel sorry for my pets. They are well loved and cared for. But the world is an imperfect place. One in five of the chickens you buy at the supermarket for your family are contaminated with salmonella. If we can't keep the human food supply clean, what makes you think we can keep the pet food supply safe? Chest pounding and melodrama don't change these facts. Answer the recall, switch foods if it will give you a sense of safety. But realistically, anything that is mass-produced is at high risk of contamination, regardless of whether it is for us or our pets.

• 05/14/2012 11:54am

That chicken you are comparing to dog food is RAW, UNCOOKED. We expect it to have bacteria. The dog food is COOKED. We expect cooked food to be safe to handle. Not only were dogs getting sick, but also people from simply touching the dog food. Comparing raw chicken to cooked food in order to make a point is rather....pointless.

Nonchalanty tell those people that got sick (since dogs will not understand) from handling Diamond's dog food, "if it makes you feel better, stop using the food". Since they got sick from TOUCHING the dog food, something a reasonable person does not expect, your suggestion is shall we say.... ridiculously crude and a little too late.

No chest pounding going on here, just commonsense and facts. Likewise, I would say to you no point in shoving one's head in the sand and become some Diamond Pet Foods' blindly following fanboy. A company that keeps poisoning and killing dogs,sickening people does not deserve future business. Stop buying their food. If you accept mediocrity, then you shall receive mediocrity.

Tell me Michele, work for Diamond much or a significant other? What exactly is your vested interest in writing comments here? Mine? Mine is to stop canine death and suffering as the personal accounts here suggest. I also want to prevent sickness in people. I always wash my hands before and after touching dog food. I recommend others do the same.

• 05/14/2012 08:35pm

I can't accept that we have to live with unsafe food be it human or pet. Batches should be tested--even when subbed to another plant. I'm just 'fed' up. (Pardon the pun.)

• 05/23/2012 05:01pm

Having every product tested...hmmmm. The economic impact this would have does not justify testing everything. Prices for products and services would be increased dramatically to recover the costs. Most people already have difficulty affording the necessities. I love my dogs immensely and I'm disheartened when checks and balances fail; but I do have a choice in deciding what is best for my pets. If I left it up to them; they'd eat the fish in the stream, the rabbits in the field, and the occasional droppings from the deer. So what is worse?

• 05/23/2012 05:35pm

Yes, testing batches...it is done in the food industry and monitored by the FDA. The monitors arrive without notice and companies make sure their products comply--or they're out of business. Yes, the system is not perfect. But it does a fairly good job in the human industry. After all,one calf with mad cow enters the system and we can trace it practically back to conception. It just seems to me that more care can be taken with pet foods. And as far as a 'voluntary' recall. As was said--this costs big bucks. Would a company do it just out of the kindness of their hearts..I'm thinking not.

My TOTW when to the landfill Monday morning with the rest of the trash.

• 05/08/2012 01:35pm

I too am angered to find out that Diamond has anything to do w/ this product! That is why I quit feeding my dogs Canidae! As an owner of 3 dogs I'm furious and tired of trying to find a safe product to feed my dogs. I though by switching to a grain free product I had chosen a safe food for them.

• Thouroughly disappointed
    05/09/2012 08:53pm

When I saw the latest recall info, I thought how fortunate that I switched my GSD's to Taste of the Wild, only to see it at the bottom of the list. I have seen many recalls by Diamond in the past...never had I seen Taste of the Wild on such a list, so I was surprised, to say the least, to find out that TOTW is a Diamond product. The bag we just finished was not from the affected plant, nor did it mention Diamond anywhere on the label....but the damage is done. My grrrrls love their venison/bison kibble, but I no longer feel confident feeding it to them. I must now find a new, high quality, grain free food that they'll eat and enjoy.....any suggestions?

• 02/12/2013 01:18pm

Acana or orijen

• Very disapointed
    05/10/2012 04:35pm

I have had my yorkie on Taste of the Wild for almost a year now. She had recently had a loss of appetite, abdominal pain and a fever. I spent over $700.00 to make her get better, which was a 2 week period! None of the vets I took her too knew what was wrong. Funny how I find THIS product is what cost her to be so ill! You can bet, I will NEVER spend my money on this product again. Until I find a grain free dog food I will be keeping her on her organic chicken and rice diet!

• Beware!
    05/13/2012 05:19pm

I fed my Parson Russell Terrier Taste of the Wild for a few years. I also did not know it was a Diamond product. Did Diamond recently purchase the brand or always own it?

I am pretty sure this is what made my dog sick. His appetite decreased and he would go through bouts of shaking. He would come to me crying for help. He would have runny stool and afterwards, a clear mucous-like substance would pass.

The Vet told me the shaking is due to severe abdominal pain. I never knew dogs shake when in pain. I guess because we always took good care of our dogs.

We spent hundreds on tests for our dog. We took him in to see the Vet about five times. I was suspicious of his dog food from the start. The Vet had us put him on the typically prescribed chicken and rice diet for about two weeks and switch back to his old food. Sure enough, he started having bouts of shaking again once we went back to the old food.

i had enough. I went down to the family owned feed store and asked for another brand they recommended. They told me about NutriSource, a super premium pet food. They use this brand themselves. My dog's health improved rapidly upon switching to grain free lamb meal formula. I recommend you research this brand for your dog or cat. Beware of the Diamond brand!

• End of my rope...
    05/14/2012 05:54pm

I'm so frustrated! All of these companies have some plant do their mix for them. It's almost impossible to get any location source information off a bag unless it comes from Mexico...then it's usually marked. But here I sit with TOTW which is not on the recall list--but am I going to feed it? No way! I also have SG that's not on the list--but am I going to feed it, no. They might come out tomorrow and ADD it to the recall list. I'm beginning to think the only safe way to feed your dog is to make up your own feed. But do I have time to balance a ration for my dogs (all 8 of them)... NO.
    Plus now I have to go on a search to find out what other feeds are produced in SC that may have come from the plant involved. Just ridiculous that companies can keep raising prices on these foods and they are becoming more and more unreliable as safe nututrition for our pets.
    Just EEERRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

• Now the truth comes out.
    05/14/2012 06:56pm

When our Shih Tzu developed diarrhea last fall, neither us nor our vet thought her food was the issue. After all, we had been feeding her the same TOTW Bison/Venison for over a year, and never had a problem. So when the diarrhea started, the first thing we thought to do was start her on Primor, an antibiotic. When that didn't stop the diarrhea, we switched to Sulfasalazine and Centrine. When that didn't work we went back to Primor and added Diphenoxylate Hydrochloride. This was all over a span of 4-5 weeks. What a shame our little dog had to suffer with this, not knowing what was causing it. When we finally had it under control, we stopped the chicken and white rice and started the food again only to have the diarrhea start all over. We suspected the "hard" food was irritating her colon, so we switched to a Royal Canin canned food, and she improved. Now we give her a combination of Royal Canin canned and dry food, and she has been OK since December. To think of what we put her through, and what we went through in worry, and vet bills! We still have the bag of TOTW, and although the product code is not the one mentioned in the recall, we will not feed this to her, or even donate it to the local pound because we are afraid that tomorrow Diamond will reveal that other manufacturing plants have been included in the recall. We might feel better about all of this if they would agree to reimburse us for our vet bills, but this is a long tedious process of providing paperwork to them with no guarantee of reimbursement. Almost $500 later, and now on a much more expensive, veterinarian prescription food. The whole thing is just a shame and a disappointment. We are just grateful that our little girl is better and we hope and pray she stays that way.

• Disappointed
    05/14/2012 08:05pm

Interesting. When the recall was first announced, I heard that TOTW SHARED a manufacturing plant with Diamond. Not that Diamond made TOTW. It is disappointing. The only recalls I can remember involve Diamond. And my four dogs LOVE TOTW. sigh. Back to research and a new food.

• 05/17/2012 01:37pm

Try nutrisource.............great food and my dogs do wonderful on it. I liked to mix some TOTW with the nutrisource dry kibble for variety, but no more. Nutrisource also makes a grain free which I am switching to after another Diamond recall.

• A Natural Remedy ......
    05/14/2012 09:20pm

I just have to let you all know of a natural remedy that might help some of your pets. I just recently discovered this when researching what to do to remedy a potential risk of e-coli from a potential piece of bad meat product..... it's using cinnamon bark(yes, ground cinnamon). There's lots of research on the Internet that states how cinnamon is wonderful at killing all kinds of bacteria, including e-coli, salmonella, etc .... take a minute to research. I chose to mix equal parts organic plain yogurt to ground cinnamon (be sure to use at least this amount of cinnamon to be effective, a lesser amount/ratio will not work as well). You'll get a dark brown substance. The yogurt is a good binder and helps it stick to the mouth/tongue/gums/throat,etc. The next morning, my dogs had no stomach/intestinal illness, no doggy breath, and happy wagging tails! What a bonus, no doggy breath!!! You might want to give it a try .... for people(as I tried this on myself too), I ate a couple of spoons after I had brushed my teeth and went to bed (also concerned about the questionable meat product, as I ate it too). The next morning I felt great, had no stomach/intestinal issues and my mouth felt fresh and clean. Really impressed with the results. For my family and our dogs, I'm going to keep this in my natural remedy arsenal, and will eat a spoonful occasionally as a natural preventative for excellent gum health, intestinal health & maintaining proper blood sugar levels. Just had to mention to ya'll as it might prevent your doggies from suffering from food poisoning. I would have given anything to have known about this a couple of years ago when our little dog became poisoned by bad Science Diet food and it took her several weeks to recover. At least if something happens while they are eating the TOTW food, I'm prepared. Blessings ....

• Too bad
    05/17/2012 01:42pm

So sad that Diamond had to have another recall. I had known that they were the manufacturer of TOTW but had hoped that they had cleaned up their act.

I don't feed TOTW as a primary food for my dogs, I use Nurta Source and they love it and do excellent on it. I just add some TOTW for variety for them. Well no more, now with this recent recall I won't buy it again and will stick to Nutra Source exclusive! Nutra Source does make a grain free, it is a bit more money than the TOTW but worth it for the peace of mind.

Between the pet food recalls and pet treats made in China I seriously am thinking of cooking for my animals. So scary that we rely on these companies to give us a good quality product that we pay good money for and then things like this happens.

I have an unopened bag of TOTW here, it isn't listed on the recall notice but am very wary of using it. It is a smaller back for mixing in but still.

• Any recalls from India
    11/22/2013 04:04am

I am from India. Home food for our companion pets is professed by canine nutritionists as being inadequate. So we need to go for top branded products. We too want to give our companion pets the best food and not the crap from the stables of Pedigree, Drool, Royal Canine, etc. For all the favorable hype that one reads on dogfoodadvisor or dogfoodanalysis on the quality of Solid Gold & Taste of the Wild, dealers in India have been selling these products to Indian clients too. But then what happens when there are recalls? What has been imported by these stockists/dealers in India do not get recalled, but continue to be fed to companion pets. Are Indian pets lesser mortals?

I will go back to feeding home food to my best friends, just add supplements & appetizers, and avoid all the hype of these big brands as they all care two hoots for the health of companion pets. All commercial food has only one objective to make money like Pedigree whose research goes to make garbage appetizing.

• TOTW o.k. here
    03/30/2014 02:15pm

I know this is an old issue, however, we have always fed and are continuing to feed our Weimeraner TOTW food (8 years) and never had a problem and he has a very sensitive tummy. There is no pet food on the market that has not had a problem now and then. I think it is good for some aninmals to have food prepared at home if people can afford to and use supplements. Any problem with chicken is usually the hormones mostly. I used to cook fresh chicken for my cat because it was inexpensive where I lived and he got very big. I guess that was o.k. because he was always very healthy. I don't think there are any guarantees about safety in food anymore for pets or humans. Life is a crap shoot. I think TOTW made every effort to make sure of pet safety by this recall and that was the responsible thing to do. Illness in a pet can come from many sources. Our dog catches birds and eats them, he chews on sticks even though he gets chews, sometimes he eats poop. Dogs can come in contact will all sorts of stuff. One must be careful using fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides in the yard. These can cause illnesses too and even death. People are always throwing stuff in our yards. Hubby is vigilant about keeping the yard clean almost 24/7. People let their dogs loose on Sunday to run the neighborhood and I just this morning chased a couple off who might have been ill but seemed o.k. I think it is futile to play the blame game.