Diamond Pet Foods, Manufacturer of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Issues Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food

By Vladimir Negron    May 05, 2012 at 11:35AM / (5) comments

Diamond Pet Foods, manufacturer of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, has expanded an earlier voluntary recall of limited batches of their dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011, and April 7, 2012 due to Salmonella concerns.

Customers who have purchased Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul are advised to check the production codes and best-before dates on the back of the pet food bags. Any production codes that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 10th or 11th position in the production code and which have a best-before date between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013 are affected by this pet food recall.

According to a letter obtained by Diamond Pet Foods, none of the products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella. The company, however, has decided to expand the recall and is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies.

Affected products were distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Caroline, Tennessee and Virginia, as well as in Canada. However, further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.

Pets with salmonella may display a decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, contact your veterinarian.

People infected with Salmonella should watch for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever. Diamond Pet Foods is working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), which has received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella.

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at (866) 918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 A.M. – 6 P.M. EST. Consumers may also go to diamondpetrecall.com for more information.

• recall of dog food
    05/07/2012 08:36pm

I have two dogs, both of which eat Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. First the toy poodle got sick and we took her to the vet. Then my teacup yorkie got sick with diarhea so bad that she almost dehydrated. She was treated at an emergency clinic. It cost me $250 for that treatment. Both dogs ate that food and both got sick within a week of each other. The yorkie could have died as she is only 4 1/2 lbs to begin with. Aren't there any precautions taken when the dog food is made? These animals are defenseless and depend upon us to give them wholesome food not food that will make them sick. My dogs were sick 2 weeks ago. The notification of the recall came today. I immediately exchanged the food but that's not the point. Please see to it that something like this is prevented in the future!

• Dog Got Sick
    05/08/2012 08:41am

My 2 year old dog also got horrible diarrhea and made a mess in 5 rooms of my house. I lost 2 days of work caring for him (and cleaning up) only to find out the recall was announced over a week later. I'm happy to say he is now doing well. I'm also out $300 for a carpet cleaner. I'd like more stringent controls on pet food quality & safety.

• Info not on my bag
    05/08/2012 07:21pm

I don't see where the info is. i found where it says product code but there is no number. my dogs have all ate this since i picked it up 5 days ago. We get the Light Formula and aren't in any of the states that is says it was shipped...I am not sure what i should do next.

• Ferret Sick
    05/09/2012 11:39pm

I feed my ferrets a mixture of 3 foods-one of which has always been Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul. After starting a new bag of food, my oldest ferret came down with a case of diarrhea and he's had it for weeks now. I got this recall notice, looked at my bag of food and sure enough, my bag had the product code. My ferrets have been off this food 2 days and voila! No more diarrhea! Unfortunately, I am out 3 bags of food because I mix into a big container :(

• Made my kitten sick
    04/28/2013 02:18am

I had a similar experience to the other comments. I adopted two kittens, one that was fed science diet and one that was fed chicken soup for the kitten lover's soul (wet food) and I liked the ingredients of Chicken Soup better so I decided to switch the kitten who was on science diet to chicken soup and he started throwing up, having diarrhea, and shivering. I took him to the vet and they injected water under his skin to keep him from getting dehydrated but the symptoms continued. When I went for a check up a week later, I mentioned to the vet that I was feeding my kitten Chicken Soup and he said to stop feeding that to him and see if that helped. Guess what? All symptoms gone. My vet also said he doesn't recommend to anyone to feed their pets chicken soup because their products have repeatedly been recalled. Anyway, I'm never ever using it again after having this experience and I wanted to share it. But I think it's worth saying that my other kitten (the one who was being fed chicken soup for up to the point that I adopted him) did not seem to have any of those symptoms. So maybe it's an individual reaction thing? I don't know. I've been feeding my kittens Wellness kitten formula wet food since then (for about 6 months now) and they love it and have been healthy. It's really expensive though!

Does your pet have an identification tag or microchip?