Laurel Poisoning in Horses
Since laurel poisoning affects a horse in much different ways than other types of plant poisoning the methods of treatment are often much different. Artificial respiration is the first and most common step for treatment of this condition; a high concentration of oxygen is the best method for increasing the chances of survival.
Living and Management
The unfortunate reality of laurel poisoning is that many horses do not survive it. When the diagnosis is made most horses that have ingested laurel bushes are either recovering from the effects of the toxicity or have passed away from it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of treatment. Before you place your horse on land, you must ensure that all toxic plants, including laurel, have been removed entirely. Frequent property checks for new plant growth, and making sure that your horse is well fed and has plenty of healthy grass to graze on are also important for ensuring that your horse will not feel the need to graze on toxic plants.
The protein that moves oxygen in the blood
The act of feeding animals with a range or pasture
The eating of grasses and plants that are low to the ground
Share this page
Most Read Articles
60% (114 votes)
14% (27 votes)
8% (15 votes)
6% (12 votes)
N/A (I do not use tick preventives)
12% (23 votes)
Total votes: 191