Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

Mite infestation in Rats

Treatment

 

As with other cases of ectoparasitic infestation, mite infestation is treated by topical application of parasite-killing medicated dusts and sprays. Sometimes the medication may be in the form of a solution so that it may be administered orally through drinking water. Your veterinarian will advise you on the appropriate route of administration, depending on the severity of the infestation.

 

Living and Management

 

Overuse of parasiticides can sometimes lead to complications. It is therefore important to follow your veterinarian’s advice regarding the application of the parasite killing medicated dusts and sprays that have been prescribed for your pet rat.

 

Under normal conditions it is essential to monitor your pet rat regularly for signs of illness, since even minor illnesses or stressors can cause an increase in the number of mites that are present on the skin surface. It is also important to keep your rat's cage and surrounding environment clean and disinfected so that mites and their eggs do not have the opportunity to overpopulate.

 

Prevention

 

Maintain a clean living environment for your rats by routinely cleaning and disinfecting all of the cages where the rats are housed. Proper care, balanced nutrition, and protecting your rats from stressful situations can also help toward preventing mite infestation in your pet rats.

Comments  1

Leave Comment
  • Please do not use powders
    08/24/2016 02:37pm

    Hi,

    Please do not use powders with small rodents!! They have such wonderful sniffers that their nasal passages are so teeny and sensitive and their lungs scar extremely easily. Please do not use powders! In addition to that, the only chemical which is actually not toxic to a rat or mouse (my specialty) is Revolution (in the UK and elsewhere, Stronghold). The active ingredient is selamectin.

    Yes, selamectin is extremely safe for rats and mice. I have studied this intensively. It is about as toxic as water. In fact the warning about young animals is simply a laziness on the part of researchers-- one kitten died out of thousands of animals and rather than investigating why it died-- there are many, many reasons for sudden death, even at that age-- they put the warning on. The LD-50 is 2,000 which means you would have to give a rats twice their own weight for half to die. That much water would kill a rat (or, in proportion, a human), as well.
    Tthe other chemical people use, because it is easy to find without a prescription, is ivermectin. Ivermectin does to mammals AND insect parasites, what selamectin does to only mammals: Attack the brain. Even by weight, ivermectin is about 40x as toxic as selamectin; by dose it must be tenfold or more. Thus illness to brain damage to death are not uncommon upon use. However, it is safer than any other chemical.

    Since selamectin is basically nontoxic, you can use cat or dog Revolution in any dose. There is really no such thing as overdose.

    PLEASE CHANGE THIS PAGE. YOU ARE SCARRING THE LUNGS OF MANY PETS!!

    But thank you for having info about rats and mice, We appreciate that.

    Natasha,



MORE FROM PETMD.COM