Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.
Five Valentine's Day Safety Tips for Your Pets
Be Kind, Valentine
Do you pause in the middle of the day to sigh, thinking of your honey's warm, wet nose, and furry ears? It's love, and we know it -- dogs and cats make the best Valentines ever. There's no need to get them chocolates, and they have no use for flowers. In fact, these gifts are actually dangerous for them. But do you know why? Here are five great tips that help will keep your pets safe this Valentine's Day.
#5 Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Theirs
Everyone knows that chocolate causes abnormally high heart rhythms in dogs, among other problems. But not everyone is aware that baking chocolate is especially toxic. While an M&M or two on Valentine's Day may not do any harm, a dog or cat that snatches a large chunk of baking chocolate from the counter may end up in the ER. It is essential to keep ALL chocolates out of your pet's reach. Yes, even that last raspberry-filled nugget from the assorted box of chocolates no one ever seems to want to eat.
#4 Skip the Candygram
Sugar-free candies and gums often contain large amounts of xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to pets, especially dogs. If ingested, it may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure.
#3 Restart the Heart
If your dog or cat should ingest large amounts of chocolate, gum, or candy, it may go into cardiac arrest. Be prepared this Valentine's Day by learning the proper methods for artificial respiration and cardiopulmonary respiration (CPR) on dogs and cats, both of which can be found in our emergency section.
#2 A Rose is Just a Rose
But then again, it can also be a something that hurts your pets. The aroma from your Valentine's Day floral arrangement may be too enticing for your dog or cat, and it only takes a nibble to cause a severe reaction. Even small amounts may lead to cases of upset stomachs or vomiting, particularly if the plant or flower is toxic. Be extremely careful if your arrangement contains lilies, as these lovely flowers are fatally poisonous to cats.
#1 To Give or Not to Give
Are you planning to gift a loved one a new puppy or kitten for Valentine's Day? You may want to reconsider. Mull it over and do your homework -- animals are not disposable, nor can they easily be repackaged, regifted, or returned if the recipient is not pleased.
Additional SlideshowsWhat's New Dog Cat
|Decoding Your Dog's Sleeping Habits||10 Tips to Keep Your Senior Cat Healthy||3 Commands Your Dog Needs to Know Before Company Arrives||5 Common Reasons Your Dog is Scratching Himself||5 Reasons Your Dog is Peeing in the House|
|Digestive Problems in Pets: Causes, Signs and Treatments||3 Puppy Teething Tips that Will Save Your Stuff||5 Dog Staycations||The 5 Stages of Heartworm Disease in Pets||Top 4 Reasons Girls Love Guys With Dogs|
|Four Challenges to Feeding Multiple Cats||9 Ways You Can Be the BEST New Pet Parent on the Block||Ten Tips for Keeping Your Cat in Shape||Top Ten Ways to Help Your Cat Stop Peeing Outside the Litter Box||10 Ways to Stop Fleas from Biting Your Cat|