Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.
Five Valentine's Day Safety Tips for Your Pets
Be Kind, Valentine
Do you pause in the middle of the day to sigh, thinking of your honey's warm, wet nose, and furry ears? It's love, and we know it -- dogs and cats make the best Valentines ever. There's no need to get them chocolates, and they have no use for flowers. In fact, these gifts are actually dangerous for them. But do you know why? Here are five great tips that help will keep your pets safe this Valentine's Day.
#5 Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Theirs
Everyone knows that chocolate causes abnormally high heart rhythms in dogs, among other problems. But not everyone is aware that baking chocolate is especially toxic. While an M&M or two on Valentine's Day may not do any harm, a dog or cat that snatches a large chunk of baking chocolate from the counter may end up in the ER. It is essential to keep ALL chocolates out of your pet's reach. Yes, even that last raspberry-filled nugget from the assorted box of chocolates no one ever seems to want to eat.
#4 Skip the Candygram
Sugar-free candies and gums often contain large amounts of xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to pets, especially dogs. If ingested, it may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure.
#3 Restart the Heart
If your dog or cat should ingest large amounts of chocolate, gum, or candy, it may go into cardiac arrest. Be prepared this Valentine's Day by learning the proper methods for artificial respiration and cardiopulmonary respiration (CPR) on dogs and cats, both of which can be found in our emergency section.
#2 A Rose is Just a Rose
But then again, it can also be a something that hurts your pets. The aroma from your Valentine's Day floral arrangement may be too enticing for your dog or cat, and it only takes a nibble to cause a severe reaction. Even small amounts may lead to cases of upset stomachs or vomiting, particularly if the plant or flower is toxic. Be extremely careful if your arrangement contains lilies, as these lovely flowers are fatally poisonous to cats.
#1 To Give or Not to Give
Are you planning to gift a loved one a new puppy or kitten for Valentine's Day? You may want to reconsider. Mull it over and do your homework -- animals are not disposable, nor can they easily be repackaged, regifted, or returned if the recipient is not pleased.
Additional SlideshowsWhat's New Dog Cat
|The Best Pets for College Students||7 Things That Can Make Your Pet Turtle Sick||Seven Things Not to Do To Your Turtle||3 Natural Flea Treatments That Vets Say DON'T Work on Pets||7 Tips on How to Dog-Proof Your Party|
|Top 10 Holiday Gifts Your Vet Would Approve Of||7 Things You Should NEVER Do to Your Dog||Top Ten Tips for Feeding Pets Thanksgiving Leftovers||7 Ways to be the Best Pet Owner You Can Be||Top Ten Ways to Stop Fleas from Biting Your Dog|
|3 Steps for Determining How Many Calories Your Cat Needs||5 Ways to Know Your Cat Food is Worth the Money||10 Ways to Stop Fleas from Biting Your Cat||Introducing MyBowl for Cats: A New Way to Think About Cat Food||Helping Homeless Cats|