Anticoagulant Poisoning in Dogs
If your dog is suffering from spontaneous bleeding caused by anticoagulants, the treatment will involve administering fresh whole blood, or frozen plasma, in an amount determined by the rate and volume of the animal's blood loss. Vitamin K, which is necessary for normal blood clotting, will be used specifically as an antidote, and will be given by subcutaneous (under the skin) injections, with repeated doses as necessary -- by injection or even orally -- until the blood clotting time returns to normal.
Do not induce vomiting unless you have been advised to do so by your veterinarian. Some poisons can cause more harm coming back through the esophagus than they did going down.
Living and Management
If your dog consumes a mild cumulative form of an anticoagulant, your dog may recover in a week, but if it was the lethal single dose anticoagulant, it may take up to a month.
Anticoagulant poisoning can be prevented by keeping all poisons out of the reach of your pets. All other chemicals, drugs, and medications (especially blood thinning drugs) should also be kept out of your dog's reach -- ideally inside of a cabinet.
Found underneath the dermis
An in-depth examination of the properties of urine; used to determine the presence or absence of illness
The very end of the large intestine
The tube that extends from the mouth to the stomach
Any substance used to combat the effects of certain poisons.
Term used to refer to any drug that is used to slow down or stop the clotting of blood for medical purposes.
Share this page
Tylenol (Acetaminophen) Poisoning in Dogs
Acetaminophen is one of the most commonly used pain relievers, and it can be found...
Bacterial Infection (Campylobacteriosis) in ...
Campylobacteriosis is a bacterial infection prevalent in puppies younger than six...
60% (113 votes)
14% (26 votes)
8% (15 votes)
6% (12 votes)
N/A (I do not use tick preventives)
12% (23 votes)
Total votes: 189