It is not uncommon for an animal to ingest a poison or toxic substance. If your dog is behaving abnormally, or if you have witnessed it ingesting a toxic substance, you should immediately take your dog to a veterinarian for treatment, as it may have poisoned itself.
If you find the substance that was ingested, bring this to the veterinarian for examination, along with any vomit samples. This will aid in the diagnosis and treatment plan.
To learn more about how poison intoxication affects cats, please visit this page in the petMD health library.
Symptoms and Types
Your pet may be experiencing unexplained vomiting, diarrhea, or may appear to be weak (lethargic) to the point of being unable to move.
Poison intoxication occurs when a dog ingests a foreign material, fluid or otherwise, that causes a physical reaction. If left untreated, it can be fatal.
Poisons and toxic substances come in many forms, and it is often difficult to give an exact diagnosis if the substance is not known and identified. If your veterinarian is unsure as to what was ingested, the dog's symptoms will be treated as they become obvious. When possible, a blood work-up will be ordered to determine the exact cause of the poisoning.
Irritating tissue with a great deal of some type of fluid
Anything having to do with the stomach
A lack of breathing due to a purposeful cut off of air; may also be referred to as suffocation.
Any substance used to combat the effects of certain poisons.
A procedure used to get waste out of the blood when the kidneys are unable to function