Pennyroyal Oil Poisoning in Dogs
Pennyroyal Oil from Poisonous Plant for Dogs
Pennyroyal oil is derived from plants within the mint family known as Labiatae. It is frequently used in flea powders and sprays and in fragrances. It can be toxic to dogs, particularly when ingested. There has been one reported case of a dog suffering pennyroyal oil poisoning from dermal (skin) exposure as well.
Symptoms and Types
Symptoms expected with pennyroyal oil poisoning include:
The active poison in pennyroyal oil is a chemical known as pulegone, which is toxic to the liver and can cause severe liver damage.
Physical examination findings consistent with pennyroyal oil poisoning together with a history of exposure to plants, fragrances, or flea products containing pennyroyal oil may prompt suspicion of toxicity.
Blood tests reveal abnormalities consistent with liver damage, including elevated liver enzymes (alanine aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase, aspartine aminotransferase, gamma-glyamyl transferase) and evidence of bleeding (anemia and prolonged clotting times.)
Evidence of hemorrhage (bleeding) may be seen in internal organs, such as the lungs, liver and kidneys.
A definitive diagnosis may be obtained by finding pulegone on gas chromatography (a specialized laboratory test that analyzes for specific chemicals.)
Irritating tissue with a great deal of some type of fluid
Extreme loss of blood
Term used to refer to any drug or substance that is used to control vomiting.
A condition of the blood in which normal red blood cell counts or hemoglobin are lacking.
Related to or of the skin
Latest In Dog Nutrition
Pet Food Ingredients that Promote Longer Life
Pet foods, in order to promote a healthy long life, must be balanced and complete...
What Are Lean Proteins and How They Can Help ...
Protein is an important component in your pet's food, but not all proteins are the...