Amphetamine Poisoning in Dogs
Amphetamine Toxicity in Dogs
Amphetamines are a prescription medication used for a variety of reasons in human medicine. They are used to treat ADD/ADHD and narcolepsy. They are used for weight loss as well. They can also be obtained illicitly (crystal meth, methamphetamine, ecstacy). When ingested by your dog, however, amphetamines can be very toxic.
Amphetamine toxicity can occur in both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how it affects cats, please visit this page in the petMD health library.
Possible symptoms of amphetamine poisoning in dogs include:
Most cases of amphetamine poisoning in dogs are accidental, caused by the dog ingesting pills that are dropped on the floor. Dogs may also find and ingest medication from pill bottles left on countertops and in other accessible areas. Occasionally, the drug may be given to the dog purposely.
After asking you questions regarding the dog's medical history, your veterinarian will observe the animal for clinical signs consistent with amphetamine ingestion. Blood, urine or stomach contents can be tested for the presence of amphetamines, but it generally takes several days for results to be obtained. Therefore, treatment for amphetamine poisoning must be initiated before these results are returned.
A medical condition in which sleep comes uncontrollably
Irritating tissue with a great deal of some type of fluid
The amount of pressure applied by the blood on the arteries.
Latest In Dog Nutrition
How Antioxidants Improve Our Pet's Health, ...
The science behind pet nutrition continues to make major advances. One such example...
Five Life-Lengthening Health Tips for Your ...
Anyone who has ever had a dog or cat wishes just one thing — that he or she has a...